Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

overheat problem

LAZLO

my temp needle started playing seesaw today,i was driving home and kept going up and down,i spoke to the guy i bought the car off and he told me that when he had the car he got the heads skimmed and all the gaskets changed whatever whatever,however he said the heads were skimmed just a little bit too much but they only used 1 gasket when they should of doubled up to be safe,then they also told him that it needs to be retorqued,(i dont know what that is)the cars got no thermostat and the water that we fill in the water tank always ends up in the overflow,radiator and hoses are fine,one guy said check the high pressure hose,anyone on here know what it might be,sorry about the novel :-X

LAZLO']

...he had the car he got the heads skimmed and all the gaskets changed whatever whatever,however he said the heads were skimmed just a little bit too much but they only used 1 gasket when they should of doubled up to be safe,then they also told him that it needs to be retorqued...

Everything he is telling you should ring big alarm bells. If he had the head gasket done on it, and it was over skimmed, it will be running a higher compression that what it should be. Which (im assuming you have a standard ecu) on a standard ecu is bad because that could lead to det because the timing hasnt been adjusted to compensate for this, which can lead to no more piston. I would be careful and be tempted to find someone with det headphone set and drive it around on a cold morning giving it some beans to make sure it isnt detonating.

2ndly, if he thinks the head bolts need to be re-torqued, it means they weren't tightened to the correct torque in the first place, which means who ever put it back together should be shot on the spot, no questions asked. And if it does actually need torquing up i would be putting my money on that it has done a head gasket again, or if not chances are very high that it will.

[quote name='LAZLO said:

my temp needle started playing seesaw today... ...the cars got no thermostat and the water that we fill in the water tank always ends up in the overflow,radiator and hoses are fine,one guy said check the high pressure hose,anyone on here know what it might be,sorry about the novel :-X

If your car doesnt have a thermostat but the temp needle is moving drastically, what do you mean ?

If it was me this is the things i would check.

Drive down the road, when it gets hot, put the heater in the car on hot and turn the fans to full.

If the temperature gets signifigantly better, your radiator is not cooling properly and your heater is doing the radiators job for you.

In which case check radiator for blockages, and check if the fans are working properly. Once you have done that, and if that doesnt fix the problem, check the hoses for leaks etc.

Still no luck? with what information you have previously given i would be inclined to say you have a high chance you will need to do the head gasket again.

My advice would be take it into someone who knows what they are doing as with what you have said it could be a plethora of things that are fu*kt, and many of them will be very hard to identify if you dont know what to look for.

LAZLO said:

my temp needle started playing seesaw today,.............the cars got no thermostat and the water that we fill in the water tank always ends up in the overflow,radiator and hoses are fine.....

If there's no thermostat, the coolant will start to warm up if the car is just idling or cruising along at a constant pace through town, then as soon as you give it some revs, the waterpump will pull a big wad of cold water out of the radiator and suddenly cool the motor back down to cold.

If its pushing the water out into the overflow, sounds like the headgaskets haven't sealed properly and are leaking pressure into the coolant. The fix for that is new headgaskets done properly.

Guest vf20/21bg5

About having no thermostat in general,i have a few thoughts on this area which i hope will help some people, but most of you will already know these facts as it is basic mechanics. Firstly the perpose of a thermostat is to bring the engine up to its operating temp as quick as possible and keep it there, if the water temp goes higher with the therm fully open then its up to the fans or open road air flow to keep it down and they work hand in hand.If you have to run with no thermostat then you will have to warm the car up to operating temp befor you drive and make sure those fans are working! The big problem with having no thermostat is premature wear on your engine while its warming up,also winter driving and open road driving, cause it will cool the engine well below operating temp and lots of wear will occure....the only reason i would ever run without a thermastat is if i was doing alot of around town start stop driving and no open road driving.That way the engine is always up to operating temp and the fans are keeping it at a set temp which is just above the temp of a fully opened thermostat.

firstly no car should run 2 headgaskets,maybe one xtra thick one for lower compression on high Boost situations,

from what you have told us i would say you have been sold a DUD,either take it back and get your money back,or bite the bullet and fix the issues,

it will cost you a few grand to fix as you will need new/second hand heads, these will need to be checked/cleaned and then reset up (valves need to be lapped in and the valve clearances need to adjusted to spec)...

No "road" vehicle should every have to be run without a Thermostat...

Sorry mate but as soon as the guy started talking,overheating,double headgaskets and no thermostat I would of started walking away, probably shaking my head in disgust

i made a similar istake a few years back when i bought an old nissan bluebird sss, the guy said the head gasket had been done etc adn not long after getting it the car fucked out. a lot of what the guy that sold you thr car said sounds so similar to my experience, same guy? lol. as everyone says it's more than likely gonna need new head gasket and very possibly new/second hand heads. sucks but thats

's how we learn our lessons ay.

Koom']

[quote name='LAZLO said:

my temp needle started playing seesaw today,.............the cars got no thermostat and the water that we fill in the water tank always ends up in the overflow,radiator and hoses are fine.....

/quote]

If there's no thermostat, the coolant will start to warm up if the car is just idling or cruising along at a constant pace through town, then as soon as you give it some revs, the waterpump will pull a big wad of cold water out of the radiator and suddenly cool the motor back down to cold.

If its pushing the water out into the overflow, sounds like the headgaskets haven't sealed properly and are leaking pressure into the coolant. The fix for that is new headgaskets done properly.

Chairs Koom, you just reminded me dawg :)