Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WRX for the mrs

Gidday,

What is a realistic price for a V7/8 Wrx, the mrx is dead keen on the bugeye shape but i prefer the next shape(teardrop front), also how much more would the STI version be?

This is for a 2nd car as the mrs sick of crusing in our primera (4wd Auto)

thoughts and opinions please

V7 WRX will be anywhere between 13-15k for a STI you'll be looking to add another 4-5k, it will be money well spent though in my opinion as you can't make a standard WRX into a STI for 5k. There should be plenty of good bargain around at the moment.

V7 STi's are a bargain at the moment. Beyond the addition of twin scroll, the "noticeable" differences with the V8 STi are really only cosmetic. For the price of a V8 WRX, your money is better spent on the V7 STi if you can get past the ugly face and ugly Momo steering wheel.

Do what I did and stick a picture of an S202 up as your wallpaper for a month. Then you won't mind the bugeye shape at all, it'll grow on you ;)

Stay with the V7, cheaper and lighter than V8 & V9, also better engines...

In fact, i'd look at a Spec C, way, way more bang for your buck, trust me.

This is listed wrong, as an RA Spec C, but it's actually a Spec C (17 inch wheel model)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/WRX/auction-209963327.htm

This is an RA Spec C

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru//auction-209417966.htm

Or go for a Prodrive model, if the wind ups and lack of comforts are not your thing:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-182962972.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-208913350.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-198056512.htm

Which one, there's four white ones...

I'm not up on the prodrive models, so don't really know the specs.

Says they have more power than an STI but i reckon they are probably just an STI with leftover Prodrive kits bolted on...

The spec C's though; up to 80kg lighter than the STI for the Spec C and up to 200kg lighter than an STI for the Ra Spec C...

Plus hand built engines with proper forged bits, bigger turbo's, uprated VVT, flowed heads, more aggressive cams and ECU, 1.3 -1.5bar factory!

to list but a few bits...

Actually, i just looked again and despite the pics looking the same, they are clearly two diff cars.

Both have different stereos, one has genome boost gauge.

Also, despite them both having a prodrive front, one has the full front, with badge attached to bumper and indicators in bumper, the other has seperate badge in grill and no indicators in the bumper.

...and, one has what appears to be a HONDA Type R "R" sticker on the boot... :o

DPI said:

Actually, i just looked again and despite the pics looking the same, they are clearly two diff cars.

Both have different stereos, one has genome boost gauge.

lol didnt look that close good spotting ;D

Guest DMSREX

I wonder if Mr Dubbleups Mrs wants to drive a car as hard tuned as a C spec though ? Somehow we've made th leap from a WRX for the Mrs into buying a car thats more suited to track work.

DPI said:

The spec C's though; up to 80kg lighter than the STI for the Spec C and up to 200kg lighter than an STI for the Ra Spec C...

Plus hand built engines with proper forged bits, bigger turbo's, uprated VVT, flowed heads, more aggressive cams and ECU, 1.3 -1.5bar factory!

to list but a few bits...

hand full of specs like that makes them sound good.........

DMSREX said:

I wonder if Mr Dubbleups Mrs wants to drive a car as hard tuned as a C spec though ? Somehow we've made th leap from a WRX for the Mrs into buying a car thats more suited to track work.

Well if she doesn't want it, guess I'll get to thrash it, she just wants a tidy quicker car, she been looking a auto V7 wrx...trying to convince her to get a C Spec tho as if were gonna spend the money......might as well get the best bang for our buck,

If she just wants an auto WRX, you could get something way cheaper...

I got the impression she was after an STI...and thought i'd point out there are higher specs than STI for not much more coin...

Yeah, mine is a bit bumpy, and noisey too, but not that bad...

There is a soft Spec C option there, the 17 inch wheel model with brembo's and no DCCD...i'm guessing it'l have aircon and lec-tric windows...

DPI']

If she just wants an auto WRX, you could get something way cheaper...

I got the impression she was after an STI...and thought i'd point out there are higher specs than STI for not much more coin...

Yeah but i dont want an auto one :(

[quote name='Simon C said:

You may find that the Spec C is a bit hardcore for her taste. While I find it perfectly streetable, everyone else who's ridden in mine (back when it was still stock!) found it bumpy and noisy ;)

after years of cutsprings and then upgrading to adjusties i think she will be fine with the bumpyness, (she currently driving a p11 4wd primera on 18s - pretty stiff susp setup in them), for the noise thats another story....but have had turbo cars with 3'exhasusts straight thru in the past with no sound deading so cant be much worse than that...

Only thing im a bit concerned about would be the 30kwatw (guessing) to 180ish kwatw (its 205kw atm? - Might be wrong) sounds like an exciting way to write of a car to me!

to be honest i havent seen 1 bugeye model i like yet. there used to be a silver wrx V7 with 20' rims and thats the 1st one i like....(insert boy racer comment here)

But at the end of the day, it will be her car. Thanks for all the comments, i have gotten her to read this forum (hiya T) so she can get a bit of understanding :P

DPI said:

Stay with the V7, cheaper and lighter than V8 & V9, also better engines...

In fact, i'd look at a Spec C, way, way more bang for your buck, trust me.

This is listed wrong, as an RA Spec C, but it's actually a Spec C (17 inch wheel model)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/WRX/auction-209963327.htm

Do they come with factory engine and trans oil coolers?? jelous!!

I do happen to have the "soft" 17" model. Air con is great for demisting the windscreen, but I use the roof scoop to cool the car. No electric windows. She'll also have to contend with the lack of airbags, lack of a passenger sun visor with a make up mirror, no boot carpets, no stereo, and a measley 50L petrol tank so she'll be filling up more often.

If she can put up with all that (and they're not big issues, to be honest), then she'll find the Spec C a rollickingly good drive for the coin.

Yep, no stoopid swollen steering wheel or passenger punching bag, but the visors still have the warning label on them...

I don't miss any othe the things that they strip out really...maybe the rear wiper now and then.

As to the fuel tank, i get 530 odd km's out of mine so 50L ain't that bad.

Way better handling than an STi though, and 1.5bar+ ain't nothing to sneeze at...

Heh, trust me, the first thing that my wife noticed was that there was no passenger sun visor, so she couldn't check her makeup in the mirror. She instantly labelled my new ride "what a stupid car!" ;D Females prioritise different things to us guys ;)