Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 Exhaust Qs

Ninja8)

Hopefully all V7 owners can help me out here...

Been looking around lately for a decent turboback exhaust system (trying to keep away from china made items).

So question 1:

Everyone who has/had purchased a turbo back exhaust for a V7...what did yous end up buying? price?

These are the current systems im showing interest in OR solutions:

http://www.fortyone.co.nz/parts/show/164/Buddyclub/Racing%20Spec%20III%20Pro%20Exhaust.html

Im not sure if its complete with downpipe or just a cat back deal...

http://www.autobend.co.nz/rage/New%20Site/web-content/bigbore%20pages/subaru.html

and BD9002 from autobend..got a quote of $1032 :o but im going to autobend in person and see if i can get a better deal as that was a trademe price.

I know a GC8 can be made to fit a GD due to steering clearance or some sh!t but i rather do it properly.

Yet to go to redline and ask them for a quote as i get a better deal if i go in and they see my face :P But it will most probably be an unknown brand like this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Other/auction-355544578.htm

Keeran from Boosted Performance gave me a quote not long ago for around $1300.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Other/auction-355235714.htm

Or just a downpipe..anyone purchased one of these yet??

But yeah.what does everyone think?? Budget wise i dont REALLY want to spend a 4 digit number (ex.1300) so i still have change for more bolt ons. But if i have to i have to.

Feedback ;D

goatherder said:

i have a after market 3 " front pipe with cat going to a 3 inch 5 zigen have also had 1xresonator fitted but its still to loud. the 5zigen cost me 150$ off trademe and the res cost 160 fitted . the front pipe was on the car when i bought it .

Yeah trademe doesnt have any 2nd hand to suit a GD atm.. Hence me having to go new.

i seem to pass wofs easily :P old boss :D

Yeah could be keen to work out a deal... is it still on the car??

Im shooting over to autobend tomorrow to get quick quotes on a Turbo back and just a downpipe..

If the downpipe will bolt to a factory mid-pipe and doesnt cost too much i might end up getting it.

I got 3" all the way, Rage downpipe with custom midpipe to Zerosports muffler. Three resonators welded in to keep the noise down, was still too loud with only two resonators. Went 3" for future proofing in case I did a big powerup, but to be honest 2 1/2 is plenty and it has a nicer note (less boomy).

Simon C said:

I got 3" all the way, Rage downpipe with custom midpipe to Zerosports muffler. Three resonators welded in to keep the noise down, was still too loud with only two resonators. Went 3" for future proofing in case I did a big powerup, but to be honest 2 1/2 is plenty and it has a nicer note (less boomy).

yeah there is definitely alot of ways i could go about this.. for your rage downpipe, was it BB3056 from the autobend link at the start of thread? And if you can remember..did it have a donut flange??

pappu said:

How much u Wana spend Bro as there are always some options

Lol the cheapest one is to make a gc8 one fit but it's a bit of an ugly job and big hammer as well lol

Are h wanting a full system or just cat back

Not keen to make a GC8 fit...i wanna do it properly ;) Well if i can afford a turboback i will get one. At the moment im thinking of just a rage downpipe and use factory cat back until i sort more options. Going to autobend soon...

I've got a V7, and an exhaust but I haven't even fitted it to the car so I can't say what the noise level is like. It's a 3" downpipe and I think it's a GC/GF model so I may have to "tinker" with it a bit for it to fit. I also purchased a 3" resonator and centre pipe from Rage to fit. When I was looking at DP's from Rage, then I was going to get the BB3089, as I think it was cheaper than the BB3056.

I also purchased my Rage bits from a retailer that offered cheaper prices on Rage products than Autobend did: http://www.partsco.com/

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='pappu said:

rage downpipes only fit rage mid section afaik

need to chop and weld mid section

hmm will talk to u on dyno day as may have some options for u

/quote]

Yep, that's part of the "tinkering" I mentioned.

hahaha tru that.. yea was a pain when i got the rage downpipe and then had to be forced to get the rest of the sections

i think they do it on purpose lol

• Admin

I've got a Rage 3" Siamese into 2.5" ZeroSports World Leaguer midpipe and rear section.

DP bolted up to the Zerosports midpipe...ish. They had welded the flange on at the wrong angle so we had to do a quick cut-twist-weld job on it. Even the Subaru cone gasket from the old mid-pipe fitted, amazingly enough.

Nice note, not too loud, good rumble especially when coming off the throttle.

• Admin
 Ninja 8) said:

A rage downpipe definitely does not bolt up to the factory mid exhaust. Flanges are at different angles and theres an approx 10-15cm gap between them.

My plan now is to just get a custom 3" mid pipe welded up to bolt to my factory sti tip.

My Zerosports midpipe bolted up to the factory downpipe and the Rage one (after a cut and twist, the Rage guy reckoned the flange had been welded on wrong) no worries... which to me says that the factory mid pipe should bolt up to a correctly built Rage one?

boon']

[quote name='Ninja 8) said:

A rage downpipe definitely does not bolt up to the factory mid exhaust. Flanges are at different angles and theres an approx 10-15cm gap between them.

My plan now is to just get a custom 3" mid pipe welded up to bolt to my factory sti tip.

/quote]

My Zerosports midpipe bolted up to the factory downpipe and the Rage one (after a cut and twist, the Rage guy reckoned the flange had been welded on wrong) no worries... which to me says that the factory mid pipe should bolt up to a correctly built Rage one?

Thats what i will be finding out on sunday night when i bolt up the new downpipe so its ready first thing monday morning. If the 3" donut flange(downpipe) fits to the factory midpipe then im happy ;D

BUT

guy at autobend did mention the fact that: Its easier to find exhausts in general with a normal 3 inch diamond looking flange then finding an aftermarket exhaust with a donut flange

and all in all..ive bought 2 3" flanges so in the end its all up to me really.

How many resonators does everyone have in their mid pipe?

• Admin

Gimme a yell if you need a hand since I've had mine all in pieces twice recently!

You'll need a really good 14mm ratchet spanner and a long ass 3/8" extension with a good quality swivel joint. Plus a boatload of that non-flammable 5-56 and it might help if you have some spare studs/bolts for the turbo-downpipe join since they seem to like to bend/ruin them.

Oh and I had to cut the mid-pipe bolts out of mine, welded shut by rust.

Actually they're a gigantic pain in the ass, especially getting the heat shield off so you can get at the downpipe.

Wrap your new one then throw the heat shield as far as you can into the nearest blackberry bush.

boon said:

Gimme a yell if you need a hand since I've had mine all in pieces twice recently!

You'll need a really good 14mm ratchet spanner and a long ass 3/8" extension with a good quality swivel joint. Plus a boatload of that non-flammable 5-56 and it might help if you have some spare studs/bolts for the turbo-downpipe join since they seem to like to bend/ruin them.

Oh and I had to cut the mid-pipe bolts out of mine, welded shut by rust.

Actually they're a gigantic pain in the ass, especially getting the heat shield off so you can get at the downpipe.

Wrap your new one then throw the heat shield as far as you can into the nearest blackberry bush.

Got the 14mm ratchet spanner. Don't have a long ass 3/8 extension or swivel joint, but I know what that would be for as I remember dealing with my exhaust from my wagon, so will look at buying one. I know how much fun it is dealing with heat shields and rusted bolts, so will stock up with CRC beforehand.

If it all fails, I'll take it to the shop to get done.