Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

More power for V7 STI

Do you actually know what "lag" means??? There's plenty of wrx non sti has vf22. Get rid of the boost tap. It's the worse ever invention for a Subaru. I had it in my car it feels like a pig and two cows and a donkey on top of it. Waste your money. The factory boost solenoid works way better or get a ECB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

xecuta said:

Do you actually know what "lag" means??? There's plenty of wrx non sti has vf22. Get rid of the boost tap. It's the worse ever invention for a Subaru. I had it in my car it feels like a pig and two cows and a donkey on top of it. Waste your money. The factory boost solenoid works way better or get a ECB

the factory soleniods are crap.especially if youv done mods like down pipe exhaust.

whats with your attidtue of corse i know what lag is,do you?his car was LAGGY....

it came with the tap when he bought the car.at that point we didnt know any better,we messed round with it for abit and it was sweet after that.

still a front mount and vf22 on low boost is a LAGGY setup.you can say what you like.i went in the car countless amounts of time.

id rather just run wastegate pressure than use my factory soleniod as i get bad boost spike to about 19psii high gears.so for me a ebc would be the way to go.

there's nothing wrong with a boost tap on any turbo vehicle be it subaru or anything else. they do what they need to do, no frills, good results.

a vf22 with fmic on low boost is not a laggy setup. it's an inefficient setup. a 1.14ar t04z with fmic on any boost will be a laggy setup

sti8u']

[quote name='xecuta said:

/quote]

the factory soleniods are crap.especially if youv done mods like down pipe exhaust.

whats with your attidtue of corse i know what lag is,do you?his car was LAGGY....

it came with the tap when he bought the car.at that point we didnt know any better,we messed round with it for abit and it was sweet after that.

still a front mount and vf22 on low boost is a LAGGY setup.you can say what you like.i went in the car countless amounts of time.

id rather just run wastegate pressure than use my factory soleniod as i get bad boost spike to about 19psii high gears.so for me a ebc would be the way to go.

i agree with you that is laggy with low boost, but yeah a boost tap with external waste gate works pretty well, 19psi isnt that hight unless you are running a grey injectors?

i run 19-22psi all day everyday with yellow injectors, it is when i get temp to go over 22psi is when i get problems

hope u sort your car out... my attitude? sorry if i offended you but hate it when muppets comes in and talking about Lags and dont realised what it is...

WRXONP said:

if anything a wrx motor would spool a vf22 faster than a sti engine from its compression advantage?

That's got my interested.. I know absolutely nothing about compression ratios, but would a engine with a compression ratio of 9:1 spool a turbo, lets say that VF22, faster than an 8:5 or 8:1 ratio??

Sorry to thread hijack too :(

You don't want a high compression ratio on a high boost engine. Recipe for detonation. Also, spool relies on exhaust flow, so there's a lot of factors that come into it. To say that a WRX engine with milder cams, ECU tune, etc. will spool a VF22 faster than an STi engine is just silly.

Talking about compression ratio and that alone . A higher compressing engine will have the advantage to spool a bigger turbo faster . . And Yes it is allot more prone to detonation . . Think how a 10.5:1 vtec feels with a turbo :(

sultan said:

i can't see how it's possible on a tuned setup to lose power from a front mount. the surface area of the cooler is much bigger. better cooling ability, cooler intake temperatures, therefore you can push more timing advance without detonation. which means more power

Not all fmic are created equal.

Its quite possible for a badly made / designed / flowing one to underperform a v7+ tmic as they are well made and have made good power / qtr times.

Simon C said:

You don't want a high compression ratio on a high boost engine. Recipe for detonation. Also, spool relies on exhaust flow, so there's a lot of factors that come into it. To say that a WRX engine with milder cams, ECU tune, etc. will spool a VF22 faster than an STi engine is just silly.

There is some merit in the idea as milder cams will most likely spool better as they should be more on song lower in the rev range.

Wow, this thread has got interesting.

555v7sti']

just get one of those real thick top mounts (aftermarket of course)

Tony Rigoli (Aussie Subaru tuning legend) says thick aftermarket top mounts are a waste of money. Makes sense too when you consider heat soak...

Mmm, hate to take sides bro but I'm voting for the other guy. Factory solenoids are AOK. You can't expect it to work perfectly with a big dump pipe and 3" exhaust on it if you don't get a tune. Factory boost control works off a table and not closed loop so must be tuned. Also lag, as we understand it, is time taken to reach full boost from closed to WOT when you're humming, like on corner exit. I think you're talking about something different, aren't you? Turbo response or boost threshold for example, or maybe just gutless (cos 10psi is a crime with a vf22 ;-)

[quote name='WRXONP said:

if anything a wrx motor would spool a vf22 faster than a sti engine from its compression advantage?

No, there are a whole lot more factors than that; the STI will cane the stocker. But if you took two blue printed engines with identical bolt ons and gave them different CR's, yes the high CR engine would build boost faster because exhaust energy (read temp) would be greater. And yes, would detonate earlier too.

Peace 8)

2 port boost solenoids are the crap ones if u wana hold higher boost on them in the upper rev range

they work ok for stock setup but with exhaust etc done they always bleed off too easily past 5krpm ish

think they came from v3 onwards anyway

im currently in process of trying to map the 2 port factory one to see whats the best i can get and then compare them to a simple tap and see what

so far - the tap is proving to be better damit :o

also reading on US forums where people have tried to use the stock solenoid - they have mostly given up and gotten a proper interrupt type solenoid or resiged to the fact that the stock solenoid is what it is and have to live within its restrictions >:(

i have also spoken to several NZ tuners on the topic and they mostly agree that the stock 2 port does not hold well in the upper rev ranges and at least 2 told me that they usually just put a controller on there for ease of setup and better controll on the upper range

annoyingly there is little in the way of what the max outcome of the stock solenoid is but as i have understood the general concensus is that they are limitied very quickly

did i mention that the 2 port ones are fidly to to setup too lol (compared to not using it ::) )

the only plus factor for the stock solenoid is (more like a default win) is that it will not allow u to overboost in top rpm range lol

anyway, EBC for the win tho.. ;D