Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

wastegate position.

ust a quick question.whats the diffrence between welding the external wastegate closer to the turbo rather than down lower near the front wheel.alot of people seem to think its better.but a few cars run it under the frnt right wheeel without and lag or spooling issues?whats the diffrence?....

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lag or spool issues ? Thats nothing to do with where the gate is mounted . . . . Mounting the gate on the up pipe is bad IMO cos the gate is heavy . . Up pipe is very thin . . Snap welds . . . Having it down near the collector works great . . . Watch my boost curve next dyno . Nothing wrong with it . And you cant brake it off the cast manifold . . That s***s strong as ever . . . . Harder to plumb in when at the front . . . Longer vac hose needed to get to it down front . . They both control boost exactly the same . Some will say different but ive had 2 subs 1 with the gate right near the turbo. One at the bottom . Both control the same . . . But theres is a reason I prefer the gate at the bottom LOL

Also if your that way inclined then the wastegate position dictates sound . As do different screamer pipes . Sizes / length etc . (race track purpose obviously ) . Having it on 2 cylinders sounds but ugly . But still controls all right to a degree . .

k sweet.iv heard mounting the watsegate close to the turbo increase spool.just wantd to know the diffrence,running it were all four meet up seems the logical place,but if you look at alot of high perofmrnace subaru build the gates arnt welded on ther headers,there always as close to the turbo.must be a reason for tht.

umm actually no there is a differnece....

forcefed on here had one mounted on the bottom and then moved to uppipe...Only change and on the same dyno he made more power and better curve from memory...was ages ago so bit hard to remember detials but definatly was the only change to the car between the 2 tunes.

Besides its damn near impossible to plumb back in if its at the bottom..easy to plumb into downpipe if its on uppipe....mr police man dont like them venting.

Well how can moving the gate improve spool ? The gate should be shut all the way until you get to desired boost . Then open . Thus meaning it could be any where and it will not effect spool / lag one bit . . . . My boost holds steady as a rock with it down the bottom . . . So I cant see how you could controll any better unless your pulling way way way more power . . . The best way to have the gate on is to have it on the actual exhaust housing . . . . And alex your cars stock so it probably wont matter where you got it aye . .

Any way -changing the tune will effect the boost curve and how boost comes on . If gate is shut then no matter where gate is mounted the curve will still come on the same. The only thing will change would be the way it holds boost . But not the actual curve it self . . . The only way to settle it would be to do a run with the gate at the bottom . Dont change the tune. Dont change the boost or anything just the position then another run

2 Minutes ? Righto lol . . . Just saying . You weld to the standard up pipe and either a- watch your welder melt the thin as pipe or b- you have the welder set low amp and watch your welds snap off . . . . I would personally never weld to a crappy stock up pipe . And I was trying to get the point across that gate position cannot effect the curve . Only how it holds boost once it opens . That is pretty obvious if you know how a gate works aye . Not trying to pick a fight . Trying to get the point across that gate position doesnt actually do jack . . . So how much kw did he gain . As the only thing that can happen is it could hold boost flatter . But then holding boost is also to do with whats controlling the gate aye

WRXONP said:

Trying to get the point across that gate position doesnt actually do jack . . . So how much kw did he gain .

eeeeeeeh...?! seriously are those two sentences back to back? makes no difference but what kw gain? really? to me that would = a difference right chap ;)

And reading Brad's (nt_a_foz's) posts he pointing out that it does indeed make a difference. Not always does boost = power, but flow does. hence the power figures brad mentioned are are while spool unaffected.

shhitt just read this.all i wanted to knw was is it better to weld on the up pipe or exhaust manifold?

manifold seems the easyest way todo it.east to get to remove and install.whn weldd on the up pipe its close to the top mount.sits in the engine bay.meaning more heat

?me or wrxonp.im not arguing with you guys.but its a obviuos question,some peeople just make it more difficult.

want me to mke it easyer for everyone,

what are the gains and the downfalls of weld on the up pipe and exhaust manifold.

sti8u said:

ok thanks.is that because its closer to the turbo itself.?how much kw are we talking aswell?

the first question - i have no idea why

the second - read nt_a_foz's post above.. its there in plain english.

as an aside - you guys need to read more before going for the 'reply' more. Helps the rest of us maintain better patience and shows a degree of initiative on your part.

ok sweet,to be onest fot a foz you need to pull ur leg out of ur ass and stop acting like a prick.i asked a easy question and you reply like a wanker on my behalf.im learning here and have never ever acted like i know it all,i ask advice from you guys and you treat people like shit.if you guna be a wanker to comment on my topics,easy as that,im happy for you to give helpfull advice,funkytown its not really a explaination for me.theres no evedince no kw numbers for me too see,if its only a loss in say 2kw then it doesnt matter,

it was a easy question and it was turned into a big deal

cs is slowly getting a bad name for itself with the amount of negative people on here

sti8u said:

ok sweet,to be onest fot a foz you need to pull ur leg out of ur ass and stop acting like a prick.i asked a easy question and you reply like a wanker on my behalf.im learning here and have never ever acted like i know it all,i ask advice from you guys and you treat people like s***.if you guna be a wanker to comment on my topics,easy as that,im happy for you to give helpfull advice,funkytown its not really a explaination for me.theres no evedince no kw numbers for me too see,if its only a loss in say 2kw then it doesnt matter,

it was a easy question and it was turned into a big deal

cs is slowly getting a bad name for itself with the amount of negative people on here

mate i was trying to help you, my shit was directed at WRXONP im not the only one thats got issues with him around here...Trust me iv been here along time now at least 5 years so i know how things go...as you mention clubsub is NOTHING on 5 years ago but hey things change sas do people.

Now in terms of the mounting what i said re the wastegate postion this is what iv seen firsthand whether thats applicable to the wastegate location or was another factor we didnt think about who noes...have been told it is better to have on uppipe in terms of controlling boost etc though so yeah.

So can we have proof ? I highly doubt that you will get 20kw on same boost and same tune -just moving waste gate . . . Unless the down the bottom job is crappy and it couldnt hold boost at all . . Like I keep saying .. The mans car is quite standard . . . Its not a 400 kw monster . I dont think its going to effect it that much . I dont normally word shit that well . But all ive ever tryd to say is that on his setup I doubt it would do shit all . . . Mine holds boost like a solid mofo and its on the bottom . Enough said ?

Id have to see if hes still got the dyno plots but i doubt it it was probably 18months or so ago the last tune...

Do what you want basically no matter what we say WRXONP will have a alternative answer for it thats "right" so no point in us offering advice.