Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

vf10 vs. td04?

igkgunn

WRXONP said:

I would probably say td04 better but both small turbos . . . . Go bigger !

Yeah man, will go bigger but just looking for a cheap turbo to use while i save for a much better one. Went to change to siamese downpipe yesterday and found some filings in the intercooler, so figured i probably better put another turbo in before it kills my engine.

WRXONP said:

Filings ? What we talking here bro ? Some alloy pieces in the inter cooler ? Pieces of intake wheel ?

I'm pretty sure little pieces of the intake wheel. Nothing in the intake before the turbo anyway. I suspected something was wrong with the turbo on my way home from work this week, intake was a bit noisier.

WRXONP']

Guessing you have a 90degree inlet set up ? Go TD05H bro if you do theyr nt much more than a td04 and they go hard

yeah man v2 WRX 90 degree set up. looking on trademe for a td05 and put word out on here, but nothing local on TM and the one offered here is set up for external wastie. cant be bothered with that at the mo. looking to upgrade to vf30 or 34 in a few weeks time anyway so mostly want a quick fix.

[quote name='WRXONP said:

Aw yeah bro my old turbo did the same. Eventually ripped all the fins off and left them in the inter cooler and it was non turbo ha couldn't even get 1 pound boost

ouch bro, my turbo not close to that bad, will still hold 10pound.

so pissed off at this turbo, now the bottom nuts on the exhaust flange are stripping and no shops open for a 6pt socket and nuts and bolts to sort this f***er out.

I'll have a known good TD04 floating around in need of a home soon, and not interested in a huge sum for it either. Got a VF8 going on. Just need to get the f**ker off.

You can put a TD05 on if you want, but personally I'd be doing a few support mods before torturing what I assume is an old Legacy motor with a massive jump in boost. The VF10 is useless...TD04 performs better. TD05 is wicked, but I'm not putting one near my car until it's getting more fuel to each cylinder in an even fashion ;)

Shale said:

I'll have a known good TD04 floating around in need of a home soon, and not interested in a huge sum for it either. Got a VF8 going on. Just need to get the f**ker off.

You can put a TD05 on if you want, but personally I'd be doing a few support mods before torturing what I assume is an old Legacy motor with a massive jump in boost. The VF10 is useless...TD04 performs better. TD05 is wicked, but I'm not putting one near my car until it's getting more fuel to each cylinder in an even fashion ;)

Good thought Shale, mine is a 95 GF8 WRX so I think originally came with a TD05 but had an 04 when I bought it. Has custom intake and turbo back exhaust so far and will chuck in some yellows, an sti ecu or better and a vf30 or 34 within a few months. Just after something to pull me through to the stage im ready to do those mods.

How soon is soon for the TD04? Does it have a 90 degree inlet? I'm hoping to sort this out this weekend or week so i don't have to put more of my compressor wheel through the engine when the long weekends over and work starts back up.

I can have it out ASAP as I need the downpipe for my other Legacy...but yeah AFAIK it's got the 90deg bend as it's on a WRX motor of the same year as yours.

AFAIK the WRX got the TD04, the Legacys got the VF10 and VF8, and the STi got the TD05. Correct me if I'm wrong though. All the WRXs I've come across have a TD04, but there are always outliers.

Will be working on the sedan on and off tomorrow and potentially monday. The TD just needs to be pulled out of the ol wagon for ya which would ideally be this weekend.

Shale said:

I can have it out ASAP as I need the downpipe for my other Legacy...but yeah AFAIK it's got the 90deg bend as it's on a WRX motor of the same year as yours.

AFAIK the WRX got the TD04, the Legacys got the VF10 and VF8, and the STi got the TD05. Correct me if I'm wrong though. All the WRXs I've come across have a TD04, but there are always outliers.

Will be working on the sedan on and off tomorrow and potentially monday. The TD just needs to be pulled out of the ol wagon for ya which would ideally be this weekend.

sweet as, how much you want for the TD04? are you happy to frieght it to chch?

Shale said:

Freight to Chch...damn didn't realise you were so far away ;D I'll have to find out how much it is from AKL.

NFI what the going rate on these is, have seen anything from $150-$250 :-\

I have a TD04 on my tardme watchlist in southland at $100, a td05 in levin for $200, or a vf10 in chch for $80 so far are my current options