Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

hates to idle!!

rawyatt

hey guys. i have a rs ra 1991 legacy and the thing does not want to idle. what happens is i starts it up in the morning or whenever its cold. idles good for about 5 min of driven and then once warmed up, if i come to a stop or put the clutch in at any time it drops to 500 or 700 and sometimes fluctuates. sometimes it stops and idles at normal 1.2 as if the iacv catches it but not very often. while its doing this idling c$@p i can see black smoke puffing out of the exhaust and some times stalls. i believe the stalling is from way to much petrol being pushed into the cyclinders because when i try to start it up, sometimes its very hard to start as if its flooded and sometimes it easy. cel codes i have gotten is icv, tps and airflow meter. i got a new afm and since reset the codes and all has gone away except icv. so i replaced it with another 1 and even cleaned it ;) but still no change at all. any ideas? thanks in advance

or that.dont know to much about faulty 02sensor as i never had to deal with one.but if it was faulty wouldnt it pull a cell?

i agree. iv never pulled a bad o2 sensor or temp sensor code but have known of temps going without a code. any1 no how to test temp sensors? if i unplug it will it run to how the ecu thinks it should be?

the thing is that it only does this on idle. on acceleration it runs fine unless it stalls and is hard to start and the cyclinders get flooded and from that point once it gets started it misses and splatters but clears out

rawyatt said:

hey guys. i have a rs ra 1991 legacy and the thing does not want to idle. what happens is i starts it up in the morning or whenever its cold. idles good for about 5 min of driven and then once warmed up, if i come to a stop or put the clutch in at any time it drops to 500 or 700 and sometimes fluctuates. sometimes it stops and idles at normal 1.2 as if the iacv catches it but not very often. while its doing this idling c$@p i can see black smoke puffing out of the exhaust and some times stalls. i believe the stalling is from way to much petrol being pushed into the cyclinders because when i try to start it up, sometimes its very hard to start as if its flooded and sometimes it easy. cel codes i have gotten is icv, tps and airflow meter. i got a new afm and since reset the codes and all has gone away except icv. so i replaced it with another 1 and even cleaned it ;) but still no change at all. any ideas? thanks in advance

do you run a pod filter or panel filter?? if you run a pod filter and path between afm and turbo is to direct itll disrupt yr idle and make it stall one way to stop this is by putting a bar inside the pipe after the afm to stop turbulance.. another thing with the old subys is the icv is all good when its cold but kind o stops working once yr warmed up.. the best way to set yr idle once the cars warmed up is with the screw on the top of the trottle body.. and dont forget to set yr throttle postion sensor as well..

i run a mushroom filter and it takes a straight pipe into the turbo. i have also tried changing the icv will the car has warmed up but with no success. what u mean put a pipe in. sounds interesting :D also throttle sensor? how to set that?

rskikn']

[quote name='rawyatt said:

/quote]

do you run a pod filter or panel filter?? if you run a pod filter and path between afm and turbo is to direct itll disrupt yr idle and make it stall one way to stop this is by putting a bar inside the pipe after the afm to stop turbulance.. another thing with the old subys is the icv is all good when its cold but kind o stops working once yr warmed up.. the best way to set yr idle once the cars warmed up is with the screw on the top of the trottle body.. and dont forget to set yr throttle postion sensor as well..

WTF?

rawyatt said:

i run a mushroom filter and it takes a straight pipe into the turbo. i have also tried changing the icv will the car has warmed up but with no success. what u mean put a pipe in. sounds interesting :D also throttle sensor? how to set that?

i had a crashing idle cos the path between the afm and the turbo was to direct.. either put more bends in it like the factory set up and move it farther away from the turbo or you can put a beam in the pipe between the afm and the turbo to disrupt the turbulance created by the turbo.. unless you run aftermarket ecu and no afm?? set the throttle postion sensor using a multi meter..

Ichi Ban']

[quote name='rawyatt said:

/quote]

WTF?

have you tryed it??

i have put the icv pipe that goes into the inlet of the turbo in the way to block some of the air but the idle hasnt changed a bit. the screw on top of the throttle body that adjusts the idle, i have change it many times and the only thing i can get is if i tightn the screw quite abit it will idle nicely but at about 2k and wont go any lower. just stays around 2k. if i wind it back to try slow down the idle revs it drops back down 500-800.

rawyatt said:

i have put the icv pipe that goes into the inlet of the turbo in the way to block some of the air but the idle hasnt changed a bit. the screw on top of the throttle body that adjusts the idle, i have change it many times and the only thing i can get is if i tightn the screw quite abit it will idle nicely but at about 2k and wont go any lower. just stays around 2k. if i wind it back to try slow down the idle revs it drops back down 500-800.

has it had its intake manifold off by any chance?? pcv valve all plumbed back to factory?? it not stuck open or anything??