Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GDB huds into GC8 with R180?

Morning/ Afternoon all

I am after some information regarding whether GC8 Type R R180 drive shafts can fit into GDB version 7 or version 8 STi huds?

ie whether they use the same pattern on the drive shafts?

I know that GDB drive shafts are longer than GC8 ones but I am wanting to use GDB huds on my Type R GC8 and would really like to know whether I can fit front and rear GDB huds onto my GC8 using my existing GC8 drive shafts?

Many thanks

yes simly is the answer, you can fit those GD hubs front and rear, as long as your r180

Note those hubs are slightly wider in track than GC hubs.

same pattern on the drive shaft...? lets assume you mean axles, then yes the splines in v7/8 is the same as GC.

Thanks funky.

And yes I do mean the axles :D

Is it necessary for me to use the longer GDB connecting arms or is GC8 arms ok?

I know that using the GDB arms will provide me with wider track but this should also mean that GDB

axles should be used as I have heard of people experiencing problems when using GC8 axles as they

are shorter.

You shouldnt have any issues using either axle combination. I have used both and there was no problems at all.

I have adjustable rear arms which are wound out probably a bit further than stock GD ones (to get the toe & camber settings I desire) and have run it like this using stock GC8 STI RA rear axles on my race car and never had an axle pop out of the CV cup if thats what you are meaning by the problems some people have.

The length difference in the axles is very minimal anyway - I compared a bare (no CVs) GC R180 shaft to a bare V10 R180 shaft and there was only 5mm (if that) more length in the V10 one.

• 1 month later...

ive also done this mod to my Type R, as long as its a R180 it should be ok.. you will noticed that the stone guard plate is bigger in the GDB compare to the GC8... my firts mod was doing the Brembo and i had to removed the stone guard from my GC8 (rear) cause the rotor was rubbing onto it

the front axle/halfshaft one the GDB is a lot larger but its got the same length

Tony is the only person i know thats done this mod..V9 STI is hard to get...

Funkytown you have GA rear hubs, not GD

the GC and GD rear hubs are the same and will not alter track width. The only differences are the abs sensor location and the backing plate diameter

5x114 rear hubs are the same as r180 5x100 rear hubs except for the bolt pattern (obviously). The front 5x114 hubs are quite different

So the hubs are quite similar compared to GC8. From the answers above, I have

worked out that the R180 equiped GC8's will fit version 9 hubs at the rear.

But since Optical has said that the front hubs are quite different, would this suggest

that GC8 front axles will not fit into version 9+ 114.3 hubs?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am very thankful for all your answers :)

hlau028 said:

But since Optical has said that the front hubs are quite different, would this suggest

that GC8 front axles will not fit into version 9+ 114.3 hubs?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am very thankful for all your answers :)

GC8 front axles go into the V9/10 front hubs fine - they have the same splines. This is the set-up I am running on my car.

If you decide to go that way you will run into problems with the strut mounting clevis on the upright though. It is a lot thicker, and the holes are spaced differently so pre V9 front struts will not work. Best way to fix that issue is to have the clevis machined down so it is the same thickness as pre V9, and then re-drill one of the strut mounting holes so everything lines up. This is how we did BT's hubs.

The other way to sort it is if you have coil overs with height asjustable lower perches.... Just remove the original lower perch and (hopefully) get a hold of some V9/10 lower perches which just thread on and there you have it... Thats how I did mine, but I was lucky in the sense that I came across some spare V9/10 lower perches to suit my coil overs just sitting at my mechanics!

Heres a pic of the 2 different styles of front hubs side by side so you can see what I'm talking about:

oldvsnew.jpg

X said:

those looks like the ones from the BP5

Yeah they use the same type of up-right with bolt in bearing/hub (also the new Outbacks etc). They are 5x100 pcd and I *think* the bearings are smaller?

Not sure about the clevis on them though, if they are fat and have the different hole spacing like the STI ones?

thanks thats interesting to know. my mate is going up and down about how his BP5 are different as he was trying put Brembos on the back... in the end he gave up and sold it...

wondering if the V9 ones can fit in the BP5?

yep you are sure right they are 5x100 i ended up selling him my spare BBS wheels but was looking how the bearing are bolt in type with build in ABS sensors, was wondering if it posisble to bolt the 5x114 in it?

X said:

yep you are sure right they are 5x100 i ended up selling him my spare BBS wheels but was looking how the bearing are bolt in type with build in ABS sensors, was wondering if it posisble to bolt the 5x114 in it?

They might bolt in, but you would need to check the bearing size, as I think the STI ones are larger and may not fit into the BP uprights?

I have only had a quick look at the 2010 Outback ones (on my bosses car) and didnt measure anything, but thought the uprights etc looked smaller...

hlau028 said:

Thanks for the pictures tony, do you have any idea how much it would cost to

machine down the clevis and drill a new hole on the Version 9 + hubs?

Thanks

We got BT's done through a mate of ours who is an engineer along with a few other jobs so couldnt say what the cost of modifying the uprights alone is. Best bet would be to go and see a local engineer who is handy with a mill and see what they say... It should be a fairly easy job for a competent engineer so shouldn't be too pricey.

Maybe drop BT a pm as he is going through the same process currently but I am not sure who is doing the mods for him this time round (since our mate recently sold his workshop and has all his tools and machinery in storage).