Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help!!! What legacy station wagon shall i buy?

LUMMYSTI

LUMMYSTI said:

Hey guys, can anyone help and give feedback on the Subaru legacy station wagon 2002 e tune ii please, looking at buying one for $9,3000 done 93,000 kms

Thanks

seems a little pricey considering it may (if not already done) need the cambelt etc doing = $$$$$

watch for Center diff probs - test by driving 20 mins at 100kph then do tight turning circles to feel for any binding or listen for noises

watch for detonation problems on these, one dude on here brought one and cud not for the life of anyone fix it (or afford dollarwise to be bothered), so the car yard he brought if from allowed him to pick another car off the yard, only run 98 octane in it

also rear diff bushes are common to go in these, you can vew them under the car, you will see the cracks, and/or feel the diff movement

100KM service if a garage does it will be round $750-$1000 (depending) for a full cambelt kit

my advice... if you can afford it spend another 4K and get a single turbo BP legacy

kiwisurf said:

My 01 GTB Etune is awesome....Thats prob about the right money if buying off a car yard.

I would have brought the BP shape but they were at least 4k more for a good one as Gazzy said.

01 is rev C the 2002 is Rev D, the rev D coped the det problem (not all though)

gazzy2000 said:

watch for Center diff probs - test by driving 20 mins at 100kph then do tight turning circles to feel for any binding or listen for noises

watch for detonation problems on these, one dude on here brought one and cud not for the life of anyone fix it (or afford dollarwise to be bothered), so the car yard he brought if from allowed him to pick another car off the yard, only run 98 octane in it

also rear diff bushes are common to go in these, you can vew them under the car, you will see the cracks, and/or feel the diff movement

100KM service if a garage does it will be round $750-$1000 (depending) for a full cambelt kit

my advice... if you can afford it spend another 4K and get a single turbo BP legacy

thanks for advice Gazzy, sorry to sound stupid lol but what is a BP Legacy? thanks

LUMMYSTI']

[quote name='gazzy2000 said:

/quote]

thanks for advice Gazzy, sorry to sound stupid lol but what is a BP Legacy? thanks

the newer shape, like this

192940866_full.jpg

LUMMYSTI said:

here is the link to the car i was looking at guys. Took it for a drive today and was pretty nice to drive.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=419416877

looks nice, the KMs are right, its a buyers market so talk the man down, tell him its coming up the 100,000 Km service and thats $1200. Or get him to do it incl in that price.

there are plenty of those around (maybe in a manual) so i say be prepared to walk away. I always say "well, i am looking at another one as well, so what can you do to make this one more attractive to me?", that way he knows/thinks if you walk away he may not see you again.

Myself, i'd get the fuel filter and air filter done straight away + spark plugs (fuel filter is in tank and an A-hole)

check it has anti freeze, if not dont buy it. If you suspect it has the original anti freeze.. change it straight away, it looses its anti corrossive properties after 5 years.. i.e. non protected alloy internals

Yeah definately looks the part and is in great condition, i just took it for a test drive so am contemplating whether I can get over the loss if power and speed lol! I drive a v7 sti but need a another car for my dog. What do you think of the price they are asking for it? I tried to get them to come down but they wont budge.

gazzy2000']

[quote name='kiwisurf said:

My 01 GTB Etune is awesome....Thats prob about the right money if buying off a car yard.

I would have brought the BP shape but they were at least 4k more for a good one as Gazzy said.

/quote]

Mines a Rev D mate.

kiwisurf']

/quote]

Mines a Rev D mate.

if its 01 i wudnt think so, have a look at the model number, i.e. my old BH leggy model number was BH5C5CD, the fourth letter along states what rev it is.

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='LUMMYSTI said:

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys!!! Whats tour view on this car?

url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=424186677[/url]

Would probably get a pretty penny back for that bonnet, should you decide to sell it to a turbo owner.. no point in that car having a stonking great scoop like that LOL!

Lol!! Its definately the best looking legacy ive seen and test driven so far! Just unsure bout the loss of power and speed cos non turbo! Also its done 146,000kms

Every car ive looked at has its ups and downs lol i just cant decide!!

gazzy2000 said:

also rear diff bushes are common to go in these, you can vew them under the car, you Kwill see the cracks, and/or feel the diff movement

Dealer just came back to me and said he will replace cambelt for the same price!

LUMMYSTI']

also rear diff bushes are common to go in these, you can vew them under the car, you Kwill see the cracks, and/or feel the diff movement

/quote]

Dealer just came back to me and said he will replace cambelt for the same price!

Hmm, ask if its a full kit, the full kit contains:

- idler bearings

- tensioner

- cam belt

- water pump

- thermostat

- cam seals

like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-422989407.htm

also a oil pump service.. new O ring & crank seal, and tighten the screws with locktight (medium)

all in the name of having it done properly.. not JUST a cam belt

gazzy2000']

/quote]

Hmm, ask if its a full kit, the full kit contains:

- idler bearings

- tensioner

- cam belt

- water pump

- thermostat

- cam seals

like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-422989407.htm

also a oil pump service.. new O ring & crank seal, and tighten the screws with locktight (medium)

all in the name of having it done properly.. not JUST a cam belt

Thanks Man will do

gazzy2000']

/quote]

Mines a Rev D mate.

if its 01 i wudnt think so, have a look at the model number, i.e. my old BH leggy model number was BH5C5CD, the fourth letter along states what rev it is.

100% Rev D 100% 2001....I'm a mechanic by trade ;-) Maybe it was a late 01 or was registered as an 01 by mistake on import if your saying RevD was not until 02????

kiwisurf']

/quote]

Mines a Rev D mate.

100% Rev D 100% 2001....I'm a mechanic by trade ;-) Maybe it was a late 01 or was registered as an 01 by mistake on import if your saying RevD was not until 02????

ahh yip, yea wiki says rev d intro'd late 2001, my bad. And of course BH rev D went into 2003 same year as BP was released