Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

EJ25 heads - dispute on how to do things

whw

Currently doing head gaskets and timing belts etc. on EJ25 motor.

A one-time mechanic mate is helping me.

Regarding the head bolt tightening and torqueing sequence my mate is adamant that the Subaru instructions are bullshit.

Mate reckons that the heads just need to be screwed in to a sequence he knows and torqued down to a given value.

He reckons the Subaru way of progressive tightening and backing off to angles etc. is just Subaru claptrap.

Then when the bolts are in he says that he would need to “peen” the bolts – meaning a good bash on the tops. He claims he has always done that.

The old head bolts came out clean – as clean as the day they went in. There is absolutely no debris or damage to the bolts or the holes’ threads. The old bolts screw back in perfectly. (New one will be used, of course)

Mate insists that bolt holes need to be cleaned up with a thread top. I suggest that the threads are fine.

I showed the bolts to an engineer and explained my mate’s plan to tap. Engineer said bolt threads looked fine and that the cleanliness and formation of the bolts and threads would suggest that running a tap through them would be unnecessary.

I have told my mate that things should be done as per the Subaru methods and instructions. That does not make him happy.

Anyone here ever heard of things being done as above?

Oh, liquid gasket material puts him into a spin. Anyone got suggestions for a good one?

Nah I would do it his way. He obviously knows best I mean he could probably change the cam belt. In the dark. With the hood shut. On fire.

Subaru tell you to torque the bolts up specifically for a reason, you cant just tighten them all up how you reckon they should and she'll be right. But then again, who do you trust, an irrational one time mechanic or a multi billion dollar manufacturer?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Status Updates

• MrSg9Sti04

Afternoon team,
      im new to the group first time posting. Im hoping some body can help me get my launch control all dialled in on my link g4x. Ive had the computer and car all tuned from chris at prestige awesome knowlegable guy super happy with the results but now im wanting to get my launch/anti lag all dialled in. Ive been reading multiple different forums etc all with different conflicking information which has made me nervious with what do i listen to this or that if you get what i mean. Now ive started to make myself familiar with my PClink software etc the past few weeks and im eager to learn how to do minor setups or tweaks etc so im not relieing on my tuner so much and obviously saving myself abit hurt in the back pocket. 
      Now back to the question at hand.... Im wondering if theres and one who could please share there knowledge and wisdom with setting all my values, timing, fuel etc when i have launch control armed and engaged, or even a launch tune file they can possibly send me to load onto my tune. Ive figured out the setup of my digital inputs turning launch control on etc and its obvisously on its pre set factory settings. It engages but doesnt sound the greatest or as angry as it should i feel. Hence reaching out to you good buggers. 

Cheers in advance for any info and help yous maybe able to give me.

Cheers Shaun
      · 0 replies
    • Joker  »  gotasuby

updated your DP's too : hope that's ok!
      · 0 replies
    • Joker  »  SAS

Updated your DP's to reflect your business page  
      · 0 replies
    • Joker  »  Nachoooo

Updated your Avatar : couldnt help myself  cheers!
      · 0 replies