Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

VTNZ WOF FAIL

cliffdunedin

DVNT']

[quote name='Oscar said:

I used to go the place across the road from Otago Tyres. They never even brought it up.

/quote]

Dunedin WOF centre FTW !, I can also recommend them

I can't share this sentiment. I have bad Karma with this place.

didnt the guys at this place use to work at the old testing station(VTNZ) where mitre10 mega is now??

Dont know, only reason i started going to them was because the pitstop boys always take there cars thru there! (nice and convienent)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DVNT']

[quote name='Oscar said:

I used to go the place across the road from Otago Tyres. They never even brought it up.

/quote]

Dunedin WOF centre FTW !, I can also recommend them

I can't share this sentiment. I have bad Karma with this place.

didnt the guys at this place use to work at the old testing station(VTNZ) where mitre10 mega is now??

Yeah some of them are from the old place. The guy who owns it I think, Tom, failed me on my exhaust :'( last warrent and the guy was just a prick, totally bullshit. not for volume at first, only a small leak and missing bolt. Got it fixed within an hour, came back for the re-test and got failed on volume. He said it was louder and i'd done something else while getting the repairs done. Its all in the WOF moan thread.

I called him a wanker and got asked to leave, long story short, i won't be going back with any business and i've got work to take it's fleet elswhere too.

So i took my car for a WOF last friday,

anyone got an idea about if cutting the parcel tray out abit, (make room for 6x9's) would effect the wof? they commented on the wof sheet that it had been cut?

It's not a structural piece of metal is it?

• General Member

wtf? really? new one on me... (then again I don't have a parcel tray)

will be something to do with keeping the boot sealed I bet, as long as there is something secured in the "hole" it shouldn't matter?

Guest DVNT
 pl0x said:

So i took my car for a WOF last friday,

anyone got an idea about if cutting the parcel tray out abit, (make room for 6x9's) would effect the wof? they commented on the wof sheet that it had been cut?

It's not a structural piece of metal is it?

yep cutting parcel tray...big no no and they can fail you on it....found this out when going to sell a car a couple of years ago....

Buyer wanted the car to go thru AA check they picked it up and it all went downhill from there...ended up having to weld back in what we had cut out..$4oo later..

DVNT said:

yep cutting parcel tray...big no no and they can fail you on it....found this out when going to sell a car a couple of years ago....

Buyer wanted the car to go thru AA check they picked it up and it all went downhill from there...ended up having to weld back in what we had cut out..$4oo later..

I've had to do the same :-[

Yeah bit of a no no something about seatbelt structure is it not? Within so much some tolerence of the steel blah blah. Someones lil pink stinky they wrote up in their office and doin their bit to quieten down the boy racer stereos or something :)

lol how easy would it be to hide it from them though (if they cant see it, its not there lol)

Wof is only a visal check so next time could i make something to cover it and bolt it in there so they cant see it?

pl0x said:

lol how easy would it be to hide it from them though (if they cant see it, its not there lol)

Wof is only a visal check so next time could i make something to cover it and bolt it in there so they cant see it?

Make sure 6x9s are attached properly, then big sub box in the boot...that's how i got away with it in an old corolla.

dubbedup']

[quote name='pl0x said:

/quote]

Make sure 6x9s are attached properly, then big sub box in the boot...that's how i got away with it in an old corolla.

lol yeah that would work...but ive always found that using a spacer between the speaker and the tray is a hell of alot less hassle.

DPI said:

Go back, find the guy who told you that it's up to his disgression, then quietly tell him that one of two things is about to happen: either he'll give you a warrant (and in the process, stop being such a cock) and you'll both end the day happy, or he'll be crawling home from work...

...and point out that the outcome is at YOUR Disgression ;)

Honestly, why do these places keep hiring guys with really small dicks...

I have been there in the past, and NO matter what they found something wrong with my cars...and always said how they can do me a deal on the work that needs done ::) ::)

Thats why i went to VTNZ my theory was with no workshop i shouldn't get screwed around...haha yeah right

DVNT said:

::)

At least it wasn't my $400...

DVNT said:

Ive known about that for years.

I had though of getting a tidy vortex Re vinned but desided against it, since the parcel tray was hacked up I didnt bother.. it would had cost to much to get repaired so didnt bother.

What I got told that any thing that was welded to the body was consided structual. even if it was the front guards that were welded on like on some of the older cars had.

Na the point they try and make is is that the parcel tray acts like a diaphram roof does in a house. Supports the c pillars in a lateral way. Cutting out bigger holes than are designed for weakens the diaphram. apparantly. that was from a hotrod builder.

Guest boostcut

the latest update of the virm (wof manual) is now stating any car after 1996 cant have frontal metal removed(for intercooler piping or actual cooler ie, bumper support brackets etc etc ) if it is needs to be replaced and repair cert at a cost of around 350-400 bucks from panelbeater

• Admin
 cliffdunedin said:

GRRRR How pissed i am at VTNZ!!!

Took my leggy to get a warrent yesterday and it passed everything..bar...exhaust notes(aftermarketBB)

Guy told me if i took it to Pitstop to get a silencer, would be sweet....so, i went and did that...Pitstop guy gve it a db reading of 90 whick legally is 93 or 91...either way still legal!

Went back to VTNZ and guess what...yep, failed!!

Man how pissed i was, spent 60 bucks to get a silencer installed(like VTNZ guy said) and he still failed it...i said to him it was db metered at 90 which he said its up too the warrent person and it still sounds too loud to him and if i wanted to get an indepent test would cost like $350...

Only other options is to go back to factory or get an extra muffler put on along the exhaust...what a fricken drama?

Oh and the exhaust sounds good, not riddiculously loud or anything and probably 90% of aftermarketed exhausts are MUCH louder..

ANY other ideas guys??

im assuming this is VTNZ Dunedin?

i had the same issues in my GTB wich was also measures by Magoo at 90DB (maybe a little over)

what i did was got it in writing from Magoo and went to see the boss of all the dunedin VTNZ stations... (name escapes me right now... Maybe Warren) he looked at it and passed it there and then... said a few of his staff were pricks...

take it to him and tell him about the scilencer and all that and see what he says...

• Admin
 dubbedup']

[quote name='pl0x said:

/quote]

if they cant see it they have rights to fail you... i got failed cos i had a sub box in my old corolla... A) because they couldnt get to the spair wheel and B) because the bo wasnt fasened...

RAYDEO said:

if they cant see it they have rights to fail you... i got failed cos i had a sub box in my old corolla... A) because they couldnt get to the spair wheel and B) because the bo wasnt fasened...

I got around that buy just not having a spare! The WOF inspection manual is written something like 'Spare tyre must have legal tread if fitted...' Meaning you dont legaly have to have one.

• Admin
 wrx_lou']

[quote name='RAYDEO said:

/quote]

I got around that buy just not having a spare! The WOF inspection manual is written something like 'Spare tyre must have legal tread if fitted...' Meaning you dont legaly have to have one.

yeah i learnt that lesson latter on... lol i have an amp in my wheel well now :P