Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy wont start?

far_to_loud

Hey guys, I have brought a BF facelift legacy for a daily runner. (single turbo)

Had the car for about three weeks now.. and noticed that every now and then under boost it would surge bit like if you hit boost cut.. however last Thursday night i went out, car was running fine, i turned it off for bout half an hour or so. Went to start it again and it won't start? When you turn the key for a split second sounds like its going to fire up but then sounds deadish.

The guy from AA said it was my fuel pump? but i have taken the hose off after the fuel filter and turned it over and its pumping plenty of gas??

Has anyone got any ideas what else it could be? before i take it to the garage...

Thanks in advance.

ok you have two probs.... id start by taking out plugs and giving them a good clean.... or start eliminating reasons why it will not start, 2nd prob of overboost - possibly causing the 1st prob is ecu compensating for high boost level is overfueling which has lead to deposits on spark plugs, have you checked all fuses etc?

yeah mate i've checked all the fuses ect.. the guy who i brought it off did mention i should change the plugs...? so i'll start doing that soon.

How do i eliminate the over boost? it did have a boost tap at some stage but has been replaced by a small metal piece now.

I found when i first got it it would hold boost around 6psi and then recently would spike out to 10psi..and miss like crazy. would this be caused by the plugs?

far_to_loud']

Hey guys, I have brought a BF facelift legacy for a daily runner. (single turbo)

Had the car for about three weeks now.. and noticed that every now and then under boost it would surge bit like if you hit boost cut.. however last Thursday night i went out, car was running fine, i turned it off for bout half an hour or so. Went to start it again and it won't start? When you turn the key for a split second sounds like its going to fire up but then sounds deadish.

The guy from AA said it was my fuel pump? but i have taken the hose off after the fuel filter and turned it over and its pumping plenty of gas??

Has anyone got any ideas what else it could be? before i take it to the garage...

Thanks in advance.

Like you hit boost cut? or actually hitting boost cut?

If like, did the car start to pull as if turbo was working then die away a second later then pull as if turbo was working agian then die (etc) or did the engine shut down completely?

Check spark plug, coils, fuses...

have you tried turning the key and leaving it cranking for a little bit? see if it will eventually start up?

[quote name='far_to_loud said:

yeah mate i've checked all the fuses ect.. the guy who i brought it off did mention i should change the plugs...? so i'll start doing that soon.

How do i eliminate the over boost? it did have a boost tap at some stage but has been replaced by a small metal piece now.

I found when i first got it it would hold boost around 6psi and then recently would spike out to 10psi..and miss like crazy. would this be caused by the plugs?

How is the turbo plumb? sounds like a plumbing might be wrong on it.,

stock boost for is around 9PSI

yep fouled plugs could cause this, as the car should be able to handle 10psi easy,but sounds like itsmore of a coilpack issue,

as for the boost spiking im unsure how you would fix this...check vacume lines? maybe

far_to_loud said:

Hey guys pulled out the plugs and replaced them...and the coils looked fine..but now seems a have a strong clicking sound coming from around the airbox? im thinking it must be a relay maybe?

Where about are you based?

It is an electrical click or more a mechanical click?

electrical, could be your boost control thingy (Did you put your car in D-MODE??)

Mechanical, - not 100% sure on this but maybe lifter tick?

Bazza im in Auckland

only hear the clicking sound when turned to "on"

Its electrical im sure-seems to coming from the bit where the air lines plumb back to turbo and wastegate actuator (hope you know what i mean) between the strut tower and airbox (maybe same 'thingy' you mean). i can take a few pics of the area if need be? :-\

far_to_loud said:

Bazza im in Auckland

only hear the clicking sound when turned to "on"

Its electrical im sure-seems to coming from the bit where the air lines plumb back to turbo and wastegate actuator (hope you know what i mean) between the strut tower and airbox (maybe same 'thingy' you mean). i can take a few pics of the area if need be? :-\

Yeah its the boost controller (stock), has 3 vac lines on it (that the one you talking about)? It controls when the wastage opens and closes. 1 vac should be going to air box, one to turbo and one to wastage. (if you want to get a picture that would be good, see if its plumbed up right regrading your boosting spike)

Do you head any other clicking noises from other parts of the car (fan turn off and on)? The only reason it should click is if the car is in D-MODE, did you connect any green plugs underneath the dash by the clutch pedal?

I'm assuming you car is starting now?

ok so from the boost controller. very bottom line is plumb back to inlet of turbo(has dodgey metal spacer in hose, maybe attempted boost tap? Then the one slightly up from the bottom on the boost controller connects to the wastegate actuator and another dodgey t piece maybe where tap was? top 1 goes back to the intake manifold with a tee back to the boost gauge >:(

and the fan turns on..

far_to_loud said:

ok so from the boost controller. very bottom line is plumb back to inlet of turbo(has dodgey metal spacer in hose, maybe attempted boost tap? Then the one slightly up from the bottom on the boost controller connects to the wastegate actuator and another dodgey t piece maybe where tap was? top 1 goes back to the intake manifold with a tee back to the boost gauge >:(

a picture might be a good idea.... :o

the metal spacer in hose should actually be in there, its a restriction pill placed in for the operation of the boost controller to work properly

ok after doing some research ;D i can tell you the noise is coming from the "factory boost control solenoid". If i pull out the electrical plug out noise stops...i have also tried just replacing it with another "factory boost control solenoid" but still the same thing...

What would cause this to make the ticking(clicking) noise?

far_to_loud said:

ok after doing some research ;D i can tell you the noise is coming from the "factory boost control solenoid". If i pull out the electrical plug out noise stops...i have also tried just replacing it with another "factory boost control solenoid" but still the same thing...

What would cause this to make the ticking(clicking) noise?

Check just above your clutch pedal for the set of green plugs, see if they are connected and unplug them, ifs that not the problem then you might need to get it checked my an auto sparky or mech as it shouldn't normally click

• 2 weeks later...
 far_to_loud said:

Turned out it was the fuel pump >:( (was still working but not flowing enough gas) has been replaced now with a aftermarket jobby- Cars running really well now with no problems...

Thanks Dan

Glad you got it sorted :)

WOW, Guess the AA dude got it spot on then :o