Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V5 heads onto a closed deck block into a BC RS legacy, what do i need to change

speedfreak

Hey guys, think soopersubaru has the heads i want, just wondering what i need to look for when im putting them into the RS legacy?

its a closed deck block, and they are v5 shim under bucket heads

currently i run the over plug coils and what im assuming is the original wiring loom

might have to modify the throttle body or similar.

know i have to go to a V5/6 intake manifold, but unsure on the rest?

Can i get away with current loom(that would be ideal)?

will exhaust fit(OEM legacy turbo)?

will coils fit?

will injectors fit(yellow tops)

etc etc

has anyone done this before and whats the best way to approach?

thanks in advance guys, its been awesome being able to learn so much so quickly with the forum, hopefully soon it will be threads about the racing rather than the building :)

Cheers

speedfreak said:

yes i know the v3 heads bolt on, i cant find any and im getting close to needed the heads, how hard is it? can i run current loom is the main thing i guess? i know i need a new manifold etc, but can i mix and match to make it work?

Not if you want a IACV that works.... (maby if you got welding lol then yeah spoze you could make it work). Otherwise not really man unles as stated you dont mind no IACV and are running a link ecu.

and as to your other questions... Exhaust will fit, coils will not but just use early WRX or TT legacy single bolt ones and will work, have to custom throttle body adaptor and cable mount, will have no IACV ules u get welding as above, Injectors wont fit but just use the bigger V5/6 yellows and rails. If you want it to work out tidy, run properly and not have problems I wouldnt attempt it unless I was really board or stuck on mars and a subby could get me home. ;D but then you midas well change the loom.

Another idea is some billet manifold adaptors that float around from time to time... Im sure some1 or a quick internet search will know where to find/buy them :)

marc']

[quote name='speedfreak said:

yes i know the v3 heads bolt on, i cant find any and im getting close to needed the heads, how hard is it? can i run current loom is the main thing i guess? i know i need a new manifold etc, but can i mix and match to make it work?

/quote]

Not if you want a IACV that works.... (maby if you got welding lol then yeah spoze you could make it work). Otherwise not really man unles as stated you dont mind no IACV and are running a link ecu.

there is a way to keep the iacv with the v5 mani...

seen the iacv modded to one on the kuzns wrx....using a v1-2 loom and the v5

mani. will try get a pic up of it

Idle at startup wont be problem, rally car so always be warmed up properly and i can sit in it till temps start to move, and can just wind a touch more idle on if needed.

even those adadtors need a manifold to be extended, would be better if they were angled so it bolted strait on

im sure i can sort an adaptor out for the throttle body shouldnt be too hard, where im building the motor is a fitter and turners workshop so if we cant build it there you cant build it anywhere...

so the phyiscal size of the injector changes? i already have yellow injectors on current one(which i was told was a 96 WRX motor) your saying these wont suit?

im fairly sure the coils are single bolt already - can post pics of coils and current manifold/injectors if that helps?

Thanks heaps again, i know im asking questions against the advise, and if i can find a set of v4/3 ill get those but the v5's are the onlys ones i seem to be able to get at the moment.

ill do a thread up when(if) i convert them so no one else has to ask :)

Ohk if it has a 96 engine in it then yeah coils will be single bolt. Yep 2 different types of subaru yellow injectors and correct they will not fit in eachothers rails due to physical size difference and the early rails dont bolt to the V5/6 mani from memory ither.

If you want no IACV then yeah as I said doable (obviously if its a rally car your running a possum link atleast) and just make an adaptor for throttle body and throttle cable + your turbo intake setup (if not twisted already).

marc said:

Ohk if it has a 96 engine in it then yeah coils will be single bolt. Yep 2 different types of subaru yellow injectors and correct they will not fit in eachothers rails due to physical size difference and the early rails dont bolt to the V5/6 mani from memory ither.

If you want no IACV then yeah as I said doable (obviously if its a rally car your running a possum link atleast) and just make an adaptor for throttle body and throttle cable + your turbo intake setup (if not twisted already).

Im running a possum link, think its the V4 possum, has serial cable but not antilag,

turbo will be twisted, not currently, and have changed from Water to air too air to air intercooler so i have a bit of mucking round with intake pipe and connections to do anyway

if i knotch the idle up just a touch it will compensate for the idle, and once its warm most of time will be racing/driving, shouldnt ever be in traffic so all good :)

you can however use your existing rails and injectors . the rails are interchangeable between manifolds but the different type of yellow injectors cant be swapped between the two sets of rails (hope you follow this :D) .

unless the bolt pattern is incorrect in which case to use your normal yellow injectors (v3/4) you will need a early set of rails off a rs legacy which have the same bolt pattern as the v5/6 rails :)

Ahhh so if i can make the rails bolt to the manifold the difference is at the rail to injector sizing, not the injector to manifold size. thats fine as the ones there are the split rail setup anyway. i have a set of rails from the early ones as well so sure i can mix and match to suit

Stoffa']

[quote name='speedfreak said:

even those adadtors need a manifold to be extended, would be better if they were angled so it bolted strait on

/quote]

they do bolt straight on, not sure what your on about with needing to extend the manifold??

off the link to the website you posted;

IMPORTANT: Due to differences in cylinder head design the Phase 1 or Phase 1.5 inlet manifold used will need to be cut and extended by around 12-14mm prior to fitting (see picture 4).

• 2 weeks later...

yeah they were, bolt pattern was strait accross not offset like another set on here that is v5.

makes the install easier, but annoying cause they were sold as v5 heads, luckily i hadnt brought any manifolds etc till i saw them so is ok.

i imagine they are v3/4 heads, still shim under bucket which is the main thing i wanted for the reving, will give them a tickle to knock the edges off while we are rebuilding them