Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

If I had...

Guest Oscar

Guest Oscar

a coolant leak that was dripping directly onto the exhaust manifold running directly under the thermostat area, does that mean bad things are going to happen?

Guest Oscar

:o

I am hoping that it is only a line coming off the water pump that is leaking, and not the water pump itself.

Guest Oscar
 BC5RA said:

Can't you figure out where a coolant leak is coming from without asking everybody?

Not when I can't see the source. I'm covering my arse and getting opinions before I get another jack and pull things to bits.

Thanks for the contribution though.

Guest Oscar
 DVNT said:

nah its just the rubber seal on the therostat housing leaking...waterpump s fine ;D

I hope so. I have a feeling it should be due for replacement soon...oh it makes me shudder at the thought.

Had that happen to me 3 times...

Every time it was the seal inside the water pump. It was leaking out the wee hole that is where the shaft comes out.

One time it started leaking for a short time then the water seized the bearing and bang went the alt belt. snapped it like a rubber band.

had no water pump and took me about a hour and a half to drive home.

SVX once started leaking thought it was the themostat. It ended out being the pump This time on the SVX

had my water pump leak through the little hole in the side of it, guess the hole is a protector of some sort?

but that leaked down the same sort of path, :( took ages to figure out by myself, trying to trace dry water was harder than i thought

-smurff

smurff said:

had my water pump leak through the little hole in the side of it, guess the hole is a protector of some sort?

but that leaked down the same sort of path, :( took ages to figure out by myself, trying to trace dry water was harder than i thought

-smurff

Its slows the bearings from seizeing right away. normally alows you a little bit of driving to get to a garage. It also lets you know that the seal has gone so its time to replace the pump

Oscar.........I just had a shitload of factory hoses fail on me all about the same time........I had a leak in the same place.......gave me grief for ages b4 i found it. Was just a perished hose so replaced it........and then others started failing so replaced those. Its frakn irritating when u have coolant leaks and can't track em down.........I've become a bit of a masta at it! lol

good luck

I fixed it this morning... had a leaking water pump gasket because some knob hadn't put it on properly.

Was easy to spot with the big rust stain running down the back of the pump... New gasket and an hour and a bit later (and one fire) and it's good as new!

Guest boostcut
 Hopai said:

I fixed it this morning... had a leaking water pump gasket because some knob hadn't put it on properly.

Was easy to spot with the big rust stain running down the back of the pump... New gasket and an hour and a bit later (and one fire) and it's good as new!

what! a fire!!! how so?

Funny story... Turns out the shield on the positive terminal of the starter that prevents it from earthing was broken and when we reconnected the battery the wiring on the earth terminal went poof because of the current draw.

All fixed though :)

Guest boostcut

sht a brick! i dont like fires.. i watched my old workmate burn out a 1977 porsche 911 carerra widebody after welding a plate in the floor and it was absolutely fuked 150k worth of car

CUDDAS said:

Stoked mate that it wasn't your pump failing a, did you end up doin a belt ect, I had a fire too once @ a submerge track day in chch, when my power steering hose burst & spat fluid on my extractors, & i didn't know i was on fire till the flame's poked out the scoop & then i did sht a brick,

I remember that, just figured out I have seen your car before. I ended up doing the same with powersteering the next Clubsub trackday, rather scary experience!

Mine hasn't had black rims, did have a matte black bonnet tho (matte black on black, I'm all class), and was probably unwashed :D

That EF9 is impressive! Thats about the only car that I've been up against at a trackday that I had no way at all of keeping up. He just walked away from me everywhere :'(

• 3 weeks later...
 boostcut said:

sht a brick! i dont like fires.. i watched my old workmate burn out a 1977 porsche 911 carerra widebody after welding a plate in the floor and it was absolutely fuked 150k worth of car

He probably wished he could have jumped into the fire when his boss found out?

Guest boostcut

na man it was a good customer that still goes there... the car got rebuilt in whakatane and i have seen it since... its gota kkk turbo that you can put your fist in, its like 600hp.. its nuts.

Guest Oscar
 Hopai said:

Funny story... Turns out the shield on the positive terminal of the starter that prevents it from earthing was broken and when we reconnected the battery the wiring on the earth terminal went poof because of the current draw.

All fixed though :)

Picture this:

I'm running around freaking out in Odies driveway thinking how far do I have to run from a battery explosion, and there is Lance standing there about to attempt to put out an electrical fire with a water bottle.

Lance did an awesome job though, mega props to him.