Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help!!!!

hey Guys,

Ive had an overheating problem with my 96 wrx for the past few weeks. I have changed the water pump, thermosat, radiator cap, radiator, header tank, and a couple of pipes.

Whats happening is I presume is boiling and creating steam therfore I have ruptured the top radiator pipe, header tank and cracked the side tank of the radiator all of wich I have replaced but somehow its still overheating and there is a massive pressure build up. I can hardly even squeeze the top radiator pipe as there is to much pressure in it. Can anyone help? Any ideas on where to go next......

Thanks

Andrew

start engine from cold with pressure cap off

Check to see if it blows the water out if so = head gasket

Also check to see if you heater warms up if it doesn't push the water out ( heater is a crutial part of the cooling system)

FACT most headgaskets fail due to blockage of heater core

You asked we answered, only doing our best to help via the WWW which is very hard to diagnose easily

If you have NO idea then take it to someone who does....... Atleast for diagnosis anyway............Will save you some time !!!

Sweet cheers guys for your help I think your right now that I think about it.

Whats the best way to do a head gasket? drop the engine? or can you do it insitu. Also if i am going to replace the head gasket is there anything else servicing wise I should do whilst it is all apart??

easiest is engine out

you'll need to do r/s gaskets/ intake and exhaust gaskets/ cam/ crank / oil pump oring seals while apart

Plus whatever else is needed ie cambelt /tensioner/ idlers/ water pump

Remeber that the headgaskets fail for a reason.

Prob 75% of headgaskets i do failed due to blockage in heater core

As already stated; before you do anything drastic do this>

When cold, Park the car on a hill facing up (engine higher than the rear of the car)

Take off your radiator cap and start it with the heater on hot and on full.

Top up accordingly and wait until Radiatior fan's switch on which will correspond with a drop in coolant and the thermostat opening.

This is the Cooling system bleed process i use.

If there's no change then just take it to somebody to diagnose.