Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Is it possible to remove this (pics)

Phewsion

Hey

I tried searching but I couldn't find anything in regards to removing this part

blah.jpg

I'm wanting to respray the bumpers and the parts circled with yellow the same color "Slate Metallic" I think it's called , it's looking a bit faded but wanting to know if the part that's circled can be removed from the door, I've seen pics of doors missing these but unsure if it's been broken off or if it's just screwed in from behind door

Has anyone removed these? if so how difficult was it

Thanks

Edit: Also would 17x7 rims clear 4 pot (non-brembos), I asked the guys at mag n turbo and he thinks I'd need to go 18" to clear, I know I need 294/296?mm Rotors

These wheels http://www.yhi.co.nz/newsite/store/cat152/Advanti+Racing/p726/ECO+MOTION.html

The only way to know with brake clearance is most of the tIme doing a test fit. For what it's worth I had 16x7 +38 on four pots and there was mountains of clearance. No need to go 18's at all, not even with brembos. Factory v7+ Sti brembo clearing wheels are 17x7.5 +53

my sidepanels just pull off, i've done the drivers one multiple times when the cars been on a trailer (i keep forgetting and the door catches on the mudguard)

also i've heard of rally guys running 15's and clearing 4pots, it's all about offset and spoke design, twin spoke gtb wheels will clear, single spokes wont.

Yeh I can't find much info on that wheel bar fitment and 17x7, Can't find offset details

And mag and turbo didn't have any in shop, ordered from Advanti website, Everything seems to be black on silver or vice versa and I just wanted a single color that wasn't going to stand out so he showed me those, You'd think the advanti website would have more info than just 4x100 5x100 5x114.5 and 17x7 :|

I'll ring mag n turbo tomorrow to see if I can find out offset details

kwi_fozze said:

mine has all sorts of little securing pins and things inside the doors ? strange. mind you, different revisions.

it's a shame the single spokes don't fit... your singles look freaking sweet nztintin...

Yours being 2000 would be what? SF5B or C? coz I even noticed a slight difference in our engine layouts when I looked at your garage thread

So might be safer to just mask off everything and spray it while on car? I got a compressor with the proper paint attachments, just my hand isn't very steady after I damaged a nerve years ago so figured safer to take it off :)

here is the same rim 17x7 on my leggy, not sure what offset is though anywhere on the rim that would tell me?, stock brakes, but you can see there is a tonne of room behind them, test fitment would be best, if you were in welly you could try one of mine, if someone in welly with 4 pots is willing to check i guess we could find out

DSC02153.jpg

Sexy wheels!

And I'm in auckland :)

Would pretty much be the same as what I'm getting, and they look like they have enough room, I think mag n turbo were saying 18 coz i need to upgrade Rotors and he thinks there isn't enough clearance on a 17" for 294mm rotors? or something I have nfi

yep, get lots of comments on em too! i had to roll the rear guards due to rubbing, not sure if you will get the same issue or not in the foz,

also pretty sure these only go up to 17" aswell. but yeah tonne of room back there, will see if i can get a side on view tomorrow when i get the car back

Different advanti symbol too, looks like chinese writing or something from a distance, usually it's just Advanti Racing in silver or black

And they are light weight wheels too which is cool :)

And nztintin why don't you have a thread in the Forester Garage :P

Mines sf5c, so v6 equivalent. As opposed to the 5a and 5b which is v3/4.

Sf5d is reflashable...

I'd suggest getting a ruler, measuring out on the ground the rim size, rotor size and rough caliper size. Brembo's are a tight fitment inside a 17 inch rim, and i'm sure the rotor size is larger than 300mm.

offset is what makes the rim spokes not clear the caliper (iirc)

Phewsion said:

And nztintin why don't you have a thread in the Forester Garage :P

theres nothing that special i've done, and i had a thread but was lost in one of the site crashes years ago

and there is a tonne of room in 17's to fit 4pots, check http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,29823.msg409797.html#msg409797 for pics of my current 4pots (294mm disc) in 17" rims, I'm going to brembos and they have a way bigger disc and they will still fit. as it's been said before, it's all about offset AND spoke design. only sure way to know if they're gonna fit is to try them.

and as for rolling guards, i run 215's on single spoke rims, I've had the car so low i couldn't turn the steering wheel cause it rubbed on the inside of the wheel arch, never had an issue with the outer guard rubbing so don't think you'd need to roll guards, i think forester guards are quite big to accommodate for "offroading"

Phewsion']

Would pretty much be the same as what I'm getting, and they look like they have enough room, I think mag n turbo were saying 18 coz i need to upgrade Rotors and he thinks there isn't enough clearance on a 17" for 294mm rotors? or something I have nfi

lol, brembos use 330mm rotors and they fit inside 17's.

17" rim = 17x2.54 = 43.18cm = 431.8mm so even if the "rim" area is 30% of the wheel (ie. it won't be ever), 431.8x0.7 = 302.3mm of room to have a disc.

In summary: Guy(s) at mag 'n turbo don't know what they're talking about and just want your money

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

offset is what makes the rim spokes not clear the caliper (iirc)

Combination of offset and width in relation to spoke design, as offset has a different effect depending on the width of the rim, ie. the exact same wheel design with 17x7 +45 will have effectively the same clearance as a 17x7.5 +51 (ish).

Offset is simply the measurement of the distance in mm from the center of the wheel to the mounting point

Yeh I'm not planning on going Brembos just something like

These http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/brakes/auction-488371796.htm

Which use a 296mm rotor or 294 I got a guide for it, just can't remember the number off the top of my head

Which is why I went for thin spoke wheels so the "SUBARU" can be seen from behind, but I might paint them Silver or something, everyone goes black/red I'm gonna be different :P

Edit: Ok so rang mag n turbo and spoke to another guy (Who I've been dealing with for wheels/tyres on all my cars) and he said the offset on those wheels I'm getting is +45, He thinks they should clear standard 4 pots just not brembos :)

Greaaat on the way to work and my "Hold" light starts blinking, but car feels no different in terms of power, Could it be faulty AFM? I googled it but not much info