Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rear Diff Knock..Please help..

My 98 STI

Last night when i tried to reverse outta my garage...Let the car warm up 4 a couple of minutes then hit the reverse gear...Let the clutch off a bit noticed it wasnt going and i was like ohh faarrkk thats not good...It seemed like their was a pile of wood behind my tyre from stopping it going....So i gave it a bitta gas it moved slighty with a knock coming from the back.....Dad reckons the knock came from the rear diff....And i was like wtf why would this happen now? my car never gave my problems and im only 18 and no i dont hoon round the residential areas nor do i thrash my car that badly... i only use my car for crusing ;)......

The only thing thats bugging me is why oh why did it happen now? i mean im a apprentice mechanic and it seems extremely odd that it happened in right in my garage..just two days before i moved it outta the garage and washed it then drove it back in..no freakin problems???....This was soo unexpected

Can you guys give my some inputs on what i should do?

I thought i might just get a mech warranty and get it fixed through them unless they want to check the car before i get the warranty then that idea is kaput

or i could pull it out myself...

I wana get my baby on the road asap.... :P

cpt kernow said:

I just read the same and think it sounds like your pads. Happened to me before.

You washed the car-and I doubt you dried the brakes, who does? Then they partially siezed. Take it for a gentle spin and listen out.

I give them a blast with compressed air.

If you're really worried put it up on axle stands, get under it and turn the wheels by hand listening carefully. Should be able to pin point where any noises come from.

Guest keltik

My handbrake makes a big bang occsionally when pulling off in reverse. Definately sounds more like a brake problem than a diff.

Man if i had a sti at 18 :P Was deadly enough in a GT

Guest boostcut

+1 on handbrake shoes.... they are probably adjusted up a little too tight and bound up going in reverse

Guest keltik
 boostcut said:

what are you young guns being taught theese days.....

All the wrong things mate. Make sure your missus knows youd turn down the Olsen twins for her, thats gotta be worth a few brownie points

But seriously, give it a drive and try to reproduce the noise. I think it'l be fine. Whereabouts are you located?

Guest dynofiend

As per discussion elsewhere on this forum, dont let the car sit idling to warm it up. It can cause excess bearing wear. When the engine idles there isnt as much oil pressure which means that the bearings dont float properly until the engine is warmed up. Much better to just get in the car and drive off keeping revs below 3k until its warm. Plus letting the car sit and idle only warms engine oil. Not gearbox or diff, which also needs to be warm before its safe to start giving it a hard time.