Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Need Some Help / Advice!

Ben

Hi all,

So in a bit of a pickle, well my friend is. I will try and put it as simply as possible. Any help or advice would be great;

- My friend 'A' had a Skyline which he swapped for a V4 WRX.

- The next day he swapped the WRX to his friend 'B" for another vehicle.

Now the problem is that the person who originally owned the WRX was not happy with the Skyline after the sale, so the next day he decided to be a #$#$ and de registered the vehicle before change of ownership was completed. Friend 'A' did not transfer into his name as he knew friend 'B' was getting the WRX. Hence the original owner had time to de register it while still in his name ('A' now knows this was a mistake but didn't think someone would do this out of spite!' )

What can be done about this? The car is deregistered now and to re VIN it would be a costly and expensive procedure!

The cheapest option we have thought of was to either sell the car for parts, or buy a rolling body with live plates and swap everything over.

HMM? Any ideas or advice would be great. I hope I have explained things as simply as possible!

Thanks in advanced!

if the cars legit - its around 500 i beleive to revin - if its a legit car it shouldnt have troubles going through a re vin

you could easily spend more + more time swapping to another body

option C (my favorite) turn it into a track car - doesnt need a rego

hmm yeah . . . will have a talk and see what the go is. The car is actually a gravel express with a V5 front. Probably worth $3500 so was tossing up the options if it was actually worth getting a vin or just scrapping it. Thanks for your help everyone !

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried ringing NZTA and explaining the situation? You'd think they could reverse the de-registration if the legal owner didn't actually do it.

Given that the registration process is to keep track of who is legally responsible for the car, not who is the legal owner, and that you made an agreement to swap the cars, as soon as the cars were swapped it ceased to be the original owner's car.

Therefore in de-registering a car he did not legally own, that is probably something that you could take him to small claims court for and ask that he be ordered to pay the cost of the re-registration process.

Essentially under the law of equity, he has caused you/your mate damages (the cost involved in re-registering the car) so is liable to remedy those damages.