Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Proper Air Oil Seperators

Stoffa

My new forged engine is losing a bit of oil, I'm getting crazy amounts of oil vapour not getting caught by my baffled catch can, from what i've read its from running bigger clearances with forged pistons.

Something I didn't read about when researching my build, anyway I could make a better catch can but as I've lost about 4-500mls of oil in 2500-3000kms, I think I'd rather use a good AOS and drain back the oil into my system. Also Im already sick of the smell on my daily driver.

After much reading it came down to copying a crawford one http://store.crawfordperformance.com/store/products/478 as im not paying that much money to solve the problem.

or one of these http://www.tuningworx.com/#!__products/sgm-aos, as Im thinking about going back to a top mount and wont have much spare room in the engine bay I think im gonna order one of these.

Both setups end up being a closed loop system and being connected back to the intake like factory, but I think I will leave my PCV disconnected and just rely on the vacuum of the intake to remove everything.

The crawford ones rely on "swirl pot" technology and have no media in them at all but as they are a can they can cool down too much and cause extra condensation which causes the milky gunk and as its draining back to the crankcase maybe not so good. But the way they work has been proven to work very well.

The SGM setup (similar to the grimmspeed one) only has 2 hoses and no can to cool the vapour down, the only downside I can see is on the track if theres enough g's in a right hand turn the oil may make it up the oil filler and get sucked into the intake, but I guess it'll come out of the head breathers first so maybe not an issue.

I think I'll order the SGM one and maybe just run a clear hose on the return to the intake to keep an eye on how well its working.

Anyone have similar problems or any input/advice? and no I definatly dont just want to use a catch can and have to empty it.

After seeing how much condensation I got (200mm water/50mm oil) in my can after a few thousand km's I want to stay away from catch cans, Jon was telling me on the phone how yours is set up.

I'm willing to try this setup, if it doesn't work that well I may use it in conjunction with something else anyway.

Oh yeah forgot to mention in my first post, venting to atmosphere catch cans are now illegal too.

i would not panic too much...oil loss will decrease as the rings bed in. :)..around 10,000 k...Thats the 2nd oil change at least by then. I change oil in my forged motor every 3000k the loss between changes is negligible now at 45000k ;)Motul of course!

sweet, good to know, probably done 4000kms by now.

I'm probably going to also try a cheap trick I got told about, I'll stick a bottle brush up the line from the heads/crankcase going to the separator, good way of pulling some of the oil out of the vapour I thought.

Yeah just drain the catch can back to the sump below the oil line and as long as your oil temps are high enough the moisture burns off in the engine, then pipe the catch can vent down under the car so you cant smell it.

Dont lose any oil that way :)

I havent plumbed mine back yet as my temps are too low but I hardly get any oil in the catch can anyway.