Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Harness Rules UPDATE!

Joker

• General Member

Dear Members, It is with great pleasure that we announce the most recent amendment to the MotorSport New Zealand Manual, Book 34. Amendment 34034 covers Appendix Two, Schedule A, Driver and Vehicle Safety, Article 4.3(2) and Table A4.3.1. This amendment allows for safety harnesses bearing an FIA standard to be used up to five years after the expiry date stated on the label providing the safety harness shows no signs of damage or wear. The extension of the safety harness validity detailed above is subject to the competitor inspecting the safety harness and replacement of worn or damaged harness prior to any competition. The safety harness will be deemed to have expired if the expiry date on the label is no longer legible.

All safety harnesses used in International and Championship events shall respect the FIA five year validity period.

On another note, MotorSport New Zealand's 62nd Annual General Council Meeting was held at the Duxton Hotel in Wellington on Saturday the 23rd of May.

One of the outcomes of this meeting was the appointment of Daivd Kirk and Norman Oakley to the Executive Committee. The following Executive members have been appointed as Commission Chairs:

David Kirk - ClubSport Commission

Norman Oakley - Rally Commission

Wayne Christie - Race Commission

Raymond (Crunch) Bennett - Historic & Classic Commission

Shayne Harris - Training and New Projects Commission

The Training and New Projects Commission is a newly formed commission and the role this of this Commission in the sport will be advised at a later date. Regards, MotorSport New Zealand Online

©2006 MotorSport New Zealand. All rights reserved.

Thank you for your continued interest in MotorSport NZ Clubs Online.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some concerns being bought up with motorsport about this harness rule change. Being as an example...

why does a 500hp car have to have a fia 5 year life harness for there championship series, but the same car only needs a up to 10 year old harness for say a club or endurance race. They can crash just as badly in ether.

Tony in his WRX can do (if not faster) times around manfeild than a "PR" Championship class car that has to run a FIA up to 5 year old harness, but he doesn't in the "NZGT" series (non championship)

Its F*ked up.... and so there could be a change again

Guest loren

I think the intention was to help out people at the low budget end of the sport with some

flexibility. It would be a shame if they took it away again. I would probably not wait for 10

years to replace my belts, but having some flexibility with when I had to replace them

would be good. For example having to buy two harnesses at the same time would cost

approximately $700... but being able to stagger the purchases by 6 months, a year or

whatever would help some people a lot.

• General Member

yup agree Ricky

but for the majority of "us" monthly racers who only use belts less than 12 times a year there is little "wear and tear"

and that's who I think it was aimed at

common sense is a tern I used to remember

providing the safety harness shows no signs of damage or wear

covers it I assume, cant say I have read the specific rules and terms...

• 2 months later...