Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2002 e-tune - What's this called & idle drops to 3 cylinders?

rettun

Hey guys,

Few questions car is a 2002 Legacy e-tune. 160k on the clock.

When starting and when comming to an idle, mostly when aircon kicks in or you\'re stopped in gear the car idles quite low (6-800) and gets a bit of a missfire/runs on three cylinders .

I suspect either the Idle control/throttle body area is gunked up but a can of Upper engine cleaner didn\'t make much of a difference so will be removing the intercooler to have a decent look later on. Any suggestions idea\'s are welcome?

When puttin the UEC through i removed the vaccum hose (see picture) and the box on the left the hose nipple is snapped off (Not sure if previous or my clumsy fingers).

What is this thing called and what does it do?

uc0o1tsi.ge1.jpg

Thanks in advance

Josh

Car runs alot worse if I unplug the MAF. :/

Short steel pipe, right angle rubber, then steel pipe runs back to the box on the left. good vacuum on the line from manifold but feel no airflow from the open hole on the little box at idle or with revs.

Problem: Car idles on three cylinders/missfires when load put on engine. e.g. aircon kicks in or the car is idleing in gear with foot on brake.

I suspected gunked up idle control valve/throttlebody so put a can of Upper Engine Cleaner through and changed oil/filter.

While putting through UEC i removed vacuum hose from point highlighted in pic on left... it traces back to middle hose on manifold.. highlighted on right.

While removing said vacuum hose the nipple broke off the box on the left (brittle plastic). Am wanting to know what box on left is called/what it does.

Also open to suggestions on possible causes.....

Sorry - hope that\'s clearer?

Just remove it, it\'s not really vital, mine was snapped as well so just removed it from the equation

Is that some random as boost tap tucked in behind it? (Slotted into the accel cable bracket)

Don\'t neet to remove intercooler to get ISC off - they do get quite gummed though up so pulling it off to clean is a good idea. The screws holding it on are really soft - so be careful when undoing it

Please excuse the lack if punctuation ect as posting from a phone.

Turbos work just fine with the purge solinoid disconnected.

Took off and cleaned out idle control was filthy, fitted a new set of plugs. Car idles better but still misses at idle when any load on the engine at idle, even as basic as switching on aircon.

Any other suggestions? Car seems to drive fine just issues at idle.

subirex']

[quote name='subirex said:

it a purge control solenoid valve. turbos wont work properly if disconnected.

/quote]

Absolute crap.

do some research mate on this valve. this valve can cause engine stall, sagging and hesitation on acceleration.

Na Ill just believe you. You are obviously an expert and have tried pulling it off.

::) ::) ::) ::)

Spoke to a mechanic, suggested possibly low voltage/amp and the extra draw on the system is causing it to misfire at low revs.

Also, the purge solenoid, releases vapors into the intake manifold to release pressure from the petrol tank. usually when the car\'s not under load so in theory it should not cause any performance improvement/loss.

• 3 weeks later...
 rettun said:

So, little more info for anyone whos interested. Has fault code for cam positioning sensor. Either sensor has died or cambelt has skipped a tooth.

if your cam sensor code has come on and misfires ONLY on idle than disconnect the green plug in the alternator and start the engine , and than see if the idle improves. if it does than replace your alternator. have had these cases before where the alternator gives a spike and wrong current is sent to cam sensor resulting in cam sensor code and rough idling. replacing the sensor wont help.