Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Re-register a car

pl0x

looking at buying a car with a lasped rego, anyone been threw/know what to do about this?

who backpay the rego fees?

where do i take it to get reregistered?

how much does it cost to get reregistered?

pl0x said:

yea i got a link off that page to a vinz agent and dropped them an email but no reply as of yet

looked at this a few years back with a car i had, was gonna cost quite a bit and wasnt worth it in my case, the car may have to go through compliance as it been 2 years dereged. then you need to factor in repairs as well as everything gets checked pretty hard out (i used to do compliance).

What is the car you want to re reg?

Depending if its 2nd had jap import ( even if it was prev reged in NZ ) the AA charge a extra 100 more. So they can check for flood and accident damge. The etra charge was for pulling every thing out of the inside like seats, interoir trim etc.

if its nz new they dont bother pulling it all out.

when I last asked about it costs were about....

499 NZ new and 599 JDM 2nd hand import.

I mite be out by 100. if so add 100 to each of the above.

I enquired when i had a plan of restoring my black 1988 XT6 which was luckly NZ new

the car is a 2000 legacy (nz new), i rang them they said

the check was going to cost $435.27 and if its good for a wof then it gets one of those,

then you need to pay $250 for the plates and thats with a 6month rego, otherwise its $350ish with a 1 year rego

so cost wuite abit aswell as repairing whats wrong with the car

pl0x said:

the car is a 2000 legacy (nz new), i rang them they said

the check was going to cost $435.27 and if its good for a wof then it gets one of those,

then you need to pay $250 for the plates and thats with a 6month rego, otherwise its $350ish with a 1 year rego

so cost wuite abit aswell as repairing whats wrong with the car

thats cheaper.

is it like what happens with a wof if you fail?

if you fail do you only have 28 days to fix it till you would have to pay the full price and have car re sit the full test?

Guest boostcut

dude, down at the aa in 3rd ave i got a 84 v3000 mitsi re regod for 180 as it had been regod in nz before. aslong as it hasnt been crashed tho... otherwise you need a repair cert from a panel beater.. if you want i can sort you out? i work right next to them.

boostcut said:

dude, down at the aa in 3rd ave i got a 84 v3000 mitsi re regod for 180 as it had been regod in nz before. aslong as it hasnt been crashed tho... otherwise you need a repair cert from a panel beater.. if you want i can sort you out? i work right next to them.

you sure the rego had lasped?

yea if you could have a word to them and ask if they can re-rego it,

cause i think it needs to be re vinned and get new plates etc, cause the plates are dead

boostcut said:

When i had a '95 accord done they said it cost more for a post 1990(cant quite remember - give or take a year or two) car.

Acorn cost what pl0x was quoted.

Car was rough as guts too. All that was picked up was cracked front engine mount, busted window washer motor, seatbelts not retracting properly (crc ftw), brake fluid and a tyre.

quick trip out to PAP, and I had it sorted for sfa. Might pay to flush the brake fluid if it hasn't been driven for a year or so aye.

oh true, do you guys think they would pick it up being rwd if it still had the front half shafts etc

yea im going to do a full brake flush and most likely replace the rear rotors and pads and use my 4 pot fronts, as it hasnt been driven for 2 years and brakes are rusted as!

Guest Oscar

So I should make sure that the RS is top notch before I even bother taking it in.

What about proof that the car had previously been registered? All I have is carjam and the MSNZ logbook.

pl0x - Dunno if its a legal issue changing the drive wheels?

Oscar - If its been in the system already you'll be sweet, all they need is the old plate number. Just have the police fill out a form which states they have no interest in it.

RSB said:

Oscar - If its been in the system already you'll be sweet, all they need is the old plate number. Just have the police fill out a form which states they have no interest in it.

It is now I beleave.

If you convert to RWD you need to get a cert and up grade the brakes/ preporshing valve.

I Think some one had been talking about it in a thread some where on here?

They tend to pick up every thing wrong since they go over the car with a fine tooth comb.

Also If you have a recept from the old owner helps too :)

Guest boostcut

why would you need to upgrade brakes and proportioning valve? it has nothing to do with a cert also, converting to rwd does not make your car stop any worse.

I dont know what the diffrence is for 4WD breaking dynamics.

just found something

zarnah said:

Anyone with a rwd conversion had it certed? I just went to see the cert man just so he could point anything out that may need doing before he certs it, he said mechanically it is all good, the only thing he wants me to do it put in an extra driveshaft loop halfway along the driveshaft just to be a bit safer, but he also said that rules have changed for rwd conversions now and any car that was originally 4wd has to pass a rigorous braking test now that many fail!!!! arggggghhhh hope my standard rears and sti 4 pots up front are upm to the task!! he said that he certed a mazda gtx for the rwd conversion and the guy ended up having to put bigger brakes up front and a aftermarket brake bias controller etc to pass =big dollars!!!

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?topic=405.30

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Oscar
 Old Skool Subbie']

[quote name='RSB said:

/quote]

It is now I beleave.

If you convert to RWD you need to get a cert and up grade the brakes/ preporshing valve.

I Think some one had been talking about it in a thread some where on here?

They tend to pick up every thing wrong since they go over the car with a fine tooth comb.

Also If you have a recept from the old owner helps too :)

Might have to go to the old owners ex gf, or go back an owner.

• 10 months later...
Guest keltik

Hey plox, how did you get on with this? Im thinking about trying to re-register the hatch. Its still got plates on it and proof of registration but has been off the road for 5 years. Is also well and truly pre 1990 :P

• 3 months later...

Bit of a thread revival,

If a car is Pre 91 then its basically a glorified WOF to get it re-rego'd, after 91 its basically the same check as new car compliance, and

it states in the VIRM, that is a full time 4wd car is modified to 2wd the it requires a cert,