Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

1997 Legacy RSB

gtlegacy

Heya,

i am have been reading up on various forums about ez30r conversions i have the engine >10000km (mint) and i think theere is alot more to it than just putting the engine in a getting an ecu so for the time while i save up to do it im going to rebuild my ej20R (big end bearing failure)

what is the general opinion on these engines?

at the moment im just looking to put acl race bearings in and put it all back together if everything checks out but i was just thinking about doing something different with the turbos in stead of having the sequential or converting to single

i will be building all new set of headers and exhaust so thats not a problem

first thing i need to know is what are the turbo numbers for 1997 legacy rsb and which is the larger of the 2 (probably a stupid question) primary or secondary?

what i was thinking about was instead of having to different sized turbos primary and secondary would it be possible to put 2 of the larger turbos on ? and just use a gfb manual boost controller to control them and blank off the factory controls? it would then act more like a large single turbo right?

would the oil feeds and everything be suitable to swap from the smaller to the larger on the appropriate side?

also another questions about the headers is there any reason y the factory still crosses in front of the engine? wouldnt it be easier just to make the lh and the rh equal length and just go up to the turbo? or is it a pulse thing?

also if anybody is interested in the EZ30R it is on trademe its an 06 b spec engine with variable lift and cam timing comes with a complete loom and ecu just drop me aline

Your car has VF18 and VF19 Turbos 18 is the primary i think. Thats all i really know about them as info on the net is limited as, and i've never had mine apart.

I believe the B4 era turbos are a good upgrade ( VF32? and VF27)

If you're building a mani, then build one for a parralell setup or single!

Hey, the issues you will have is

-Swapping the throttle body from drive-by-wire to cable, i just got a falcon throttle body from a wreckers and welded up some ports and machined it a lil

- Exhaust, this can either be a cheap quappy job or a decent waste your money adventure

- Radiator and FANS!!, depending on what it is going into, the radiator you are more likely to fit in there is the radiator from a BH5 GT30/BE5 RS30. Finding fans is a prick becasue of the lack of room, i ended up using a STi A/C fan and running it backwards (harder than it sounds as it is a variable speed one)

- ECU, you pretty much have to go aftermarket, and your only options there are a Link G4 Extreame or a Motec M800. Either way its goign to hurt your bank account

After i finished mine (which i got my motor for $1400, which was a steal) it cost me $7k

If you have any questions just pester me, iv got no qualms

NotAnotherWhiteGTB']

[quote name='pl0x said:

you want opinions on the ez30r or the ej20r?

ez30r from what ive heard are mint engines they go hard & can survive a raping lol

/quote]

I wonder if that came from brad about me? lol

sure did haha

gtlegacy said:

ok i have been advised against the 2x larger turbos so whats the next best thing?

running parrellel with an sti ecu and equal length headers?

I read somewhere that a new ecu isnt essential for a parallel setup. Still, if you are going to the hassle of building a new manifold, i'd strongly suggest going single.

yea i think im heading in the direction of a single turbo aye what turbo do you guyz recommend? i have had a td05h 16g from sti on my old legacy only at wastegate boost and went really well

i really want to stick with my factory yellow injectors 440cc but if i have the omney whats the next best thing for around 400hp so looking into finding a cheap link or apexi ecu 3 plug v3-v4 type and run that

has anybody ever tried to run 2x single turbos like td05 or vf10 etc etc together?

im making a custom header and dump pipes anyways

any idea of how that would go ?

just looking at a few ideas

i have 3 options

stay sequential i have a 97 rsb so i hav a vf20 and i dnt know the other turbo and battle vod

go parrellel with equal length headers and sti ecu and risk blowing my primary or both turbos and not get much performance benefit at all anyway

go single

• 2 weeks later...

just had a look at my vacumm lines head breathers etc etc my car is getting a rebuilt motor its done 180km now and had no turbo covers most of the lines are hard and brittle

whats should i do?

whats the best and cheapest vaccum line to get and where in chch ?

also would it be a good idea to make my own catch can (itching to make sumthing for my car lol ) and just get new lines from both head and feed to the tank? is the 2 heads enough or is there another outlet as well?

i have seen the blue silicon line stuff once (was on ex carl vaughan evo ) and it split the line going to the external wastegate so was free boosting for about 10laps of ruapuna not good

anyways im just looking at replacing most of the engine bay pipes rather than have old and new any others i shoukd check out?

A few of the Hydraulic hose places around ChCh have various sizes of vacuum hose in stock. Coloured or plain old black. Or else Edge Performance or Sylvester Performance are good places to go to get that type of thing. Also you can drool over the V8 bits and pieces while there :D

Catch can on your engine should have the two breathers off the heads and a single breather off the rear of the crankcase.

If you go single, a TD05-16g would go pretty well, or else any of the STI turbos i.e. vf23, vf24, vf30 or use the slightly bigger vf22. Will only get you to 200-230kw in most cases.

You also keep mentioning cheap, that wont get you to 400hp sorry. Maybe for a week at a time between rebuilds. Better off if you want 400hp, find out exactly what it takes and go for it all in one go.

Also as you have the RSB, the swap to single turbo ECU is pretty simple. Theres threads in here somewhere telling you how.

Guest boostcut

if your going to the trouble of making headders why not go to a single as you mentioned you wanted a link or power fc. this will have much more simplicity and useable power and its a tried and proven method.