Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Buying a 99 B4 RSK or a 99 WRX Ra Limited Ed

No blue smoke, im going to take it for a test drive this weekend. Test brakes,shocks, hard accl,going through all the gears that sorta thing

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think that they are necessary? Im going to get a pre purchase inspection done on the car before I buy it.

Krisby said:

Do you really think that they are necessary? Im going to get a pre purchase inspection done on the car before I buy it.

YES YES YES they are necessary. I'm on the third engine in my GTB.

Guest STiEVO

yes i do i got a pre check and i travelled 8k and it went.i had voided my warranty so if i had got my service it would have cost me nothing. it was an 04 wrx with 42k on the clock. im guessing both of your choices are old er and have more kms. i paid about 3k to get it fixed and only had it for 8 days before a i traded it in to get a warranty. oh and also an sti over a wrx cheers.

It is odd that in all the years (15 or so) I've had Subarus (4 of them, 2 turbos), and lots of my friends have had Subarus (mostly all turbo), I had never heard of, or seen a big end bearing go in an EJ20. Come on this forum and every acts like you'll get one just popping the boot and putting your picnic rug in =\

only problem with mechanical warranties is having to go to authorized service places for oil change etc. gets a bit pricey if you change your oil every 3 months/5000 km, so if you are the kind of person who plans on doing that kind of thing yourself, you won't be able to if you go for the mechanical cover. also, depending on who you go with, it may not be transferable if you decided to sell the car at a later date. Vero is not, Protecta is. so up to you really.

jake_the_muss said:

only problem with mechanical warranties is having to go to authorized service places for oil change etc. gets a bit pricey if you change your oil every 3 months/5000 km, so if you are the kind of person who plans on doing that kind of thing yourself, you won't be able to if you go for the mechanical cover. also, depending on who you go with, it may not be transferable if you decided to sell the car at a later date. Vero is not, Protecta is. so up to you really.

Hmmm crap, I currently change the filters and oil myself + any other kind of straight froward thing.

yeah. i used to have protecta insurance cover with an old car, but decided against getting it again. if something happens, i could buy a new engine and put it in for less than the insurance plus extra servicing cost. nevertheless, fingers crossed i don't have to do that. i'd rather just take good care of the current engine, and keep it for a looong time.

Guest STiEVO
 GC8E2DD said:

It is odd that in all the years (15 or so) I've had Subarus (4 of them, 2 turbos), and lots of my friends have had Subarus (mostly all turbo), I had never heard of, or seen a big end bearing go in an EJ20. Come on this forum and every acts like you'll get one just popping the boot and putting your picnic rug in =\

frk we had 3 on 1 day at mega meet. i have had 3 subbies and never run a beb either . however none have been pre 2001

Guest STiEVO
 Krisby said:

Looks like i'll def go for a mechanical warranty then!

thats very mature thinking ..

if you cant afford the servicing dont buy a subbie. btw no one on this forum is going to help pay for your rebuild if something catastrophic was to happen. so surely for the extra 10$ a week it makes sence to cover your bumbum. spending that just will mean you wont be able to buy your lunch for a day in the week or maybe youll put 40$ gas as oppose to 50$.

Having itnd never using it is better than not having it and needing it .

STiEVO']

[quote name='Krisby said:

Looks like i'll def go for a mechanical warranty then!

/quote]

Having it and never using it is better than not having it and needing it .

Yep that was my thinking. Better to be safe than sorry!

STiEVO said:

if you cant afford the servicing dont buy a subbie.

because obviously everyone on this forum believes in mechanical warranties and getting all the work done by approved mechanics?

F&^* that. If you buy a subie and can't afford the servicing, who cares. buy the parts, do the work yourself.

Guest STiEVO
 jake_the_muss']

[quote name='STiEVO said:

if you cant afford the servicing dont buy a subbie.

/quote]

because obviously everyone on this forum believes in mechanical warranties and getting all the work done by approved mechanics?

F&^* that. If you buy a subie and can't afford the servicing, who cares. buy the parts, do the work yourself.

so effectivly your advise would be to not bother with a 3yr full mechancal warranty.

your presuming every body knows how do the mechanical stuff. what happens if you change your own fluids and pads and you neglect to do a minor part of the process. you then have a malfunction and resulting in a accident and hit a 2009 CLS MERC and their assesor spots the problem.they yhen ask who did the work on the brakes , oh not a qualfied person oh well we are gunna sue or your own insurance company refuses to bail you out. or better yet the accident results in a death .hmm not a road i wish to take .

You'll find that once a car has done over xxx k's that they will also only ocver up to 3k of repairs (for example) and if anything is out of the ordinary they can try adn wangle there way out of paying on a warranty.

I'm not a fan of mech warranties.

STiEVO said:

so effectivly your advise would be to not bother with a 3yr full mechancal warranty.

No, I just think the idea that everyone should get one, and that we should have to pay for expensive servicing in order to own these cars, is a bit ridiculous. If that warranty is something you are interested in, go for it, but I would rather you know your options, the limitations of the warranty, and what it takes to keep the warranty valid, before purchasing it.

Also, not everyone buys their car from a dealer, so warranties are not always available.

I also agree that hitting a 2009 Merc would suck, for whatever reason. especially since it would damage my subie.

I am basing my position from my experience with a past car- I would have rather not had the warranty, once I found out all of the details, but I had already purchased it. If you have one, and are happy with it, sweet as.

we had the vero waranty guy at work today. they ar so tight, they look for any means to get out of it eg diff failure, if you got diff tyres on the same axle, or even maybe just diff tyres on the car, void warranty. you gotta keep your car meticulous