Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

96 Legacy TT no boost

_twisty

96 Legacy TT no boost

I purchased a trade-in 96 TT auto and it doesn\'t want to boost at all.

It\'s gutless feels like someone has the hand break on all the time and when you get to about 4.5-5k rpm (after a real long wind up to get there) where i assume the 2nd turbo would normally kick in it kind of engine cuts revs drop to about 2k rpm and the engine check light comes on.

Idles fine is smokey on start up but seems to clear off once running

Everything looks fine and untampered with I have checked the vaccume lines to my manual one and they all seem to be the same

From searching on here i am thinking knock sensor? But not sure where I find this to replace

Anyone have any ideas / able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

the primary turbo might be seized . although it sounds stupid i swear mums cad did it once . coz she rarely drove it and never boosted it at all and it has like 250000 kays on it . it was gutless as fvck (read slower than a deseasel) and made no boost . i tipped engine flush in it and raped it untill it freed up then changed the oil . was fine after that .

i dont claim to be an expert but given my scenario it seems that was the problem .

could be the ecv rod/valve is seized too. maybe open a lil . hence it tries to boost both turbos and is a mess .

kwi_fozze said:

check the codes your CEL is throwing. turn car off, connect black connectors under the dash, turn key to on position and it\'ll flash them out to you.

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/ReadingECUCodes#toc3

66 so turbo issue. Isn\'t throwing up knock sensor or anything else...

I think it\'s going into limp mode as i disconnected the battery and held the terminals togeather then took it up the road and back and it seemed a bit more responsive (still no boost) untill i hit where it cut out and then it was back to how it had been

lachlan said:

the primary turbo might be seized . although it sounds stupid i swear mums cad did it once . coz she rarely drove it and never boosted it at all and it has like 250000 kays on it . it was gutless as fvck (read slower than a deseasel) and made no boost . i tipped engine flush in it and raped it untill it freed up then changed the oil . was fine after that .

i dont claim to be an expert but given my scenario it seems that was the problem .

could be the ecv rod/valve is seized too. maybe open a lil . hence it tries to boost both turbos and is a mess .

Yeah sounds the same is probably the slowest car I have ever driven... however I don\'t think it is from lack of use i think the car has had a hard life and not been looked after

What is the ecv rod/valve? it doesn\'t boost at all

Does it have a boost gauge, is it even making boost or is it just very slow

All the cut outs & fcking around could be a number of things, code 66 is vague as anything

Could be BOV stuck open

Could be an intake leak (probably post turbo?)

Could be intercooler valve from secondary turbo stuck open

Could be siezed primary turbo (passengers side)

Could be ECV rod jammed open (thats the rod under the big canister thing on the drivers side, controls exh flow to secondary turbo)

Does secondary turbo get hot - it *should* just get warm to the touch unless you actually bring it on boost. If the exh valve is stuck open it\'ll get hot at idle just like any turbo does.

Does it idle fine, can you drive it ok with light throttle?

There\'s a heap of easy ways to diagnose the issue just need to narrow it down a bit

Marky said:

Does it have a boost gauge, is it even making boost or is it just very slow

All the cut outs & fcking around could be a number of things, code 66 is vague as anything

Could be BOV stuck open

Could be an intake leak (probably post turbo?)

Could be intercooler valve from secondary turbo stuck open

Could be siezed primary turbo (passengers side)

Could be ECV rod jammed open (thats the rod under the big canister thing on the drivers side, controls exh flow to secondary turbo)

Does secondary turbo get hot - it *should* just get warm to the touch unless you actually bring it on boost. If the exh valve is stuck open it\'ll get hot at idle just like any turbo does.

Does it idle fine, can you drive it ok with light throttle?

There\'s a heap of easy ways to diagnose the issue just need to narrow it down a bit

I left it ideling for a bit and the drivers side turbo was stone cold and the passengers was warm... I will try tomorrow for a bit and see

Idles mint and when i reset it it drove ok under light throttle

So i let it idle and gave it some revs today while i checked over the hoses again... passengers side turbo got nice and warm drivers side was stone cold

Noticed the hose to the passengers side BOV needs replacing and also one of the vacuum lines from the inlet manifold (the one with the one way valve on it). So I will get some hose don\'t think that is the problem.

Double checked the error code and is only code 66

Also worth noting is it looks like it used to have a boost guage (holes in dash and wires) but i can\'t see anything that has been tampered with under the bonnet except for the line to the passengers BOV looks like it has split at some stage so they have cut it and put a bigger size hose over the vacuum line (without any hose clamps)

check both bov for vacuum tightmess too . have had to replace both on the wagon . the diaphrams had holes in them .

just suck on the vac line to each and make sure it holds your vacuum . eg you cant suck for ever on it . that throws a 66 and makes it slow and very odd things to happen

lachlan said:

check both bov for vacuum tightmess too . have had to replace both on the wagon . the diaphrams had holes in them .

just suck on the vac line to each and make sure it holds your vacuum . eg you cant suck for ever on it . that throws a 66 and makes it slow and very odd things to happen

I swapped both BOVs with my other legacy and it ran better but still same issues. The 2nd turbo got a little bit of heat into it and the first got hot...