Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

gc8 intercooler upgrade...

Carl M

with not alot of research i went from a non-sti 2000 gc8 intercooler to a v7 sti intercooler and having a lil problem with a reservoir <in the pic> is this a possible upgrade or is there a better intercooler option for this upgrade?

2013-03-03124837_zps1e8405fc.jpg

2013-03-03130911_zps041b544a.jpg

• General Member

Just done this a few weeks ago, Stoffas solution is simple, quick and works great.

Mine completed below.

FinishedEngineBay_zps0f32ff61.jpg

For the record better to cut 2 or 3 times than cut to much off in my opinion. Have you sorted the coil pack clearance issues?

Also I used the stock Intercooler piping not an aftermarket y pipe so I had a mate weld 2 Inches on to the end of the IC piping at the turbo end to make it all sit better. Its still a bit tight.

Cool Johnny, i will cut to check a few times, did you need to adjust the coil pack? i havnt noticed a problem yet but i guess this is common to do so with this upgrade and will be buying a silicone y pipe..just cause.Have you upgraded to a larger scoop or done something else?

• General Member

I cut down the mounts on the Intake manifold but found I didn\'t get a lot more room because of how deep the Coil Pack sinks below the mounts. I am sure its an easy enough issues to get around depending on the BOV you use. I had to drop it down about 5 Mils to fit a v7 BOV. I am currently using an Atmo venting cheapy and the coil pack is kind of just sitting there until I can be bothered working on a better solution.

I am using a v8 STI scoop with the below splitter.

UnderBonntet_zps8ae14725.jpg

GEDC0016_zps43a4b863.jpg

I was lucky enough to get the splitter thingy with my TMIC from Stoffa.

• General Member

Right hand side bracket I beat the s*** out of for hours with a hammer in a vice and still couldnt get it so I drilled out the bracket mount hole and hit it some more. I can grab a pic tomorrow for you.

Please note I am the most amateur mechanic ever and my solutions are often very Rangimods

- Edit - That is to say Passengers side.

Drivers side I used the old bracket and its just sitting on it currently, seems nice and tight, I will cut up peice of steel and drill it next week to secure it to the old Mount,

Ahh got ya, the splitter is a standard v7/8? the width of the scoop is stil the same but more flow because of the mouth size yeh? have you noticed a power increase since the intercooler upgrade?

• General Member

Drivers side sitting on the bracket... You cant see it but the cooler rests on it without bending the fins. Its going to get a nice metal joiner next week.

TMICDriversSide_zpsbd17d77a.jpg

Passenger side, blury as sorry. As you can see I got it close then made a small Aluminum peice to connect bracket to IC. That will get a metal joiner next week as well.

TMICPassengerSide2_zpsa9da2d5e.jpg

Drilled out hole where passengers bracket attaches to the Intake Manifold.

TMICPassengerSide_zps3a2b995e.jpg

As I said, probably not the prettiest but worked so far.

• General Member

Splitter looks to be custom, Stoffa would know better than me,

No power increase as such I don\'t think but much stronger on boost. Gone from ranging between .9 and 1 Bar to a solid 1.1 Bar all the time. I am off for a tune with my Link Tomorrow.

Johnnynz said:

Splitter looks to be custom, Stoffa would know better than me,

No power increase as such I don\'t think but much stronger on boost. Gone from ranging between .9 and 1 Bar to a solid 1.1 Bar all the time. I am off for a tune with my Link Tomorrow.

Wait with bated breath.

No thats a stock variant iirc.