Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

JDM vs NZ-New WRX

Looking to replace the BH5 GT with a 2007-2008 WRX Hatch, however can\'t seem to find a good resource on the spec differences between NZ-new and JDM models.

Bottom line so far:

• JDM is 2.0L twin-scroll turbo vs. 2.5L turbo for NZ-New.
  • JDM WRX is labelled as a "S-GT" rather than plain old WRX

Anything else? Any pro\'s cons of a JDM vs NZ-New?

Anybody got a handle on the key differences too between 2007-2008 versions?

See:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/211027/subaru_impreza_sgt.html

car_photo_226506_25.jpg

car_photo_226497_25.jpg

suubyduuby said:

• JDM WRX is labelled as a "S-GT" rather than plain old WRX

Hmm is that really the case? My impression when I first saw one pop up on TM was that it\'s kinda like a 2.0R but with a turbo. So a dressed down WRX or something. Mind you I\'ve done no research on it so you\'re probably right.

EDIT: Think you\'re right; can\'t find any WRX\'s looking at this: http://auc.import2order.co.nz/m?name=catalog&mnf_id=7&mdl_id=705

Just came across this article in NZ Performance Car:

"With this new Impreza range, the WRX model is no more in Japan.

It\'s the S-GT now, with the WRX badge exclusively reserved to sit alongside the STI one when that model comes out in the New Year"

Source: http://www.performancecar.co.nz/articles/2008-subaru-impreza-wrx-test-drive-132

EDIT: Think you\'re right; can\'t find any WRX\'s looking at this: http://auc.import2order.co.nz/m?name=catalog&mnf_id=7&mdl_id=705

BTW...what a fantastic site for JDM specs. Best I\'ve ever seen! :o

Okay I have gone down this path before looking at them too, bout a year ago before I ticked up a big set of B&W speakers and an amp instead

Right so there were 2 different version produced between 2007-2009. It doesn\'t actually make that much difference if you go NZ new or JDM as both versions had similar good and bad points.

The main thing to realize is that the original 2007-mid2008 wrx was not a WRX in either the JDM or NZ new model. It was not meant to be a wrx in either model, it was basically a response to the fact that in 2005 several new models emerged onto the small performance car market and started to toast the old "wrx" in the sales charts. These cars (just for those that care) were the new MKV golf gti, the new focus ST (branded XR5 in nz) which used a 2.5volvo engine and one of the best chassis in the market and then finally the new generation of renault meganes which didnt suck for once. These three models absolutely creamed the V9,10 shape wrx in the european market sales charts and with good reason, they were fast, fun and much more modern looking/feeling. So subaru responded with a full change of idea for the WRX which was the S-GT. It was designed to be more of a hot hatch than a genuine mini-wrc car.

As many of your know this didn\'t work at all. Subaru was not able to produce a car that anywhere near the refinement levels of the European rivals and the old WRX fans hated how soft the new wrx was. Time and time again I saw it put up against others in Motor and Autocar etc and the subie was just way too soft and much slower than old wrx\'s.

So Subaru decided to s*** a brick.

They did a complete 180 and basically took the springs, shocks, sway bars and turbo from the the STI model (which was also said to be way too soft in many markets (not the JDM version tho at least). So The S-GT changed from late 2008 to a genuine WRX with changes in HP From 230 to around 280 (thanks to the same turbo the STI was using). The handling was completely changed and the new wrx was finally the car traditional fans will remember.

So to put things lightly.

The 2007-mid2008 wrx is a soft hot hatch (not bad just very different to the old wrx we grew up with).

From late 2008 onwards it got all the STI goodies, turbo, shocks, etc etc and was a totally different car.

If you have any further questions welcome to PM me and if you want to see what I am talking about with regards to S-GT vs the updated WRX just jump onto google and do a seach on whitelines website for the 2007 wrx (they hammer it) or MRT australia which does a good job explaining the differences and then offers a nice package of handling mods to bring the S-GT up to standard.

Hope this helps

lunchie said:

The 2007-mid2008 wrx is a soft hot hatch (not bad just very different to the old wrx we grew up with).

From late 2008 onwards it got all the STI goodies, turbo, shocks, etc etc and was a totally different car.

Except for the brakes.

Instead of the old GC/GD 4-pots, the new GR\'s got stuck with hopeless sliding calliper front brakes.

Ok for a boggo non-turbo but useless on a hi-po WRX.

Latest orange limited edition WRX still has these.

lunchie said:

Right so there were 2 different version produced between 2007-2009. The 2007-mid2008 wrx is a soft hot hatch (not bad just very different to the old wrx we grew up with).

Thanks mate, really useful information.

So just to confirm, all 2009 WRXs onwards have all the goodies? Just noticed too that model is still referred to as 2.0GT from 2008+ onwards in JDM?

suubyduuby']

[quote name='lunchie said:

Right so there were 2 different version produced between 2007-2009. The 2007-mid2008 wrx is a soft hot hatch (not bad just very different to the old wrx we grew up with).

/quote]

Thanks mate, really useful information.

So just to confirm, all 2009 WRXs onwards have all the goodies? Just noticed too that model is still referred to as 2.0GT from 2008+ onwards in JDM?

I know all the NZ new 2009 models onwards are, not sure about the JDM, just drive it, you will feel it pretty quick lol