Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GC8 Hub conversion to v7 GDB STI

Hi guys just wondering if anyone knows if a front left gc8 wheel hub would be compatible with a v7 gdb sti? My bearings are shot and can get my hands on a gc8 hub with good bearings. The only noticeable difference I can see is the abs sensor is in a different location. Any help would be appreciated.

funkytown']

really - interesting, so the hub bearings and CV\'s are a constant size?

i did actually wonder about this when i did my 6mt conversion and reused my front sti hubs (assumed r160) and was like.. WHY THIS BOLT UP?

Yeah, the castings are the same for the front uprights and drive flanges have the same spline count. You can use either the larger CV 6 speed (5x100) axles or the earlier 5 speed ones in either type.

[quote name='Dangeruss said:

Cool so the abs sensor will be the right size? Seeing as the sensor is looking at a different point on both hubs thought it may not work..?

It *should* be the same size (well most of the subaru ABS sensors I have seen from various models are anyway). You say its looking at a different point - so one is sitting in or out further than the other? If so, then you will run into issues, as I said above, you have to make sure that the sensor is in line with the tone ring on the CV.

I have used ABS hubs from various models before, but my cars have never had ABS so never really took much notice of the actual position of the sensor location point sorry... maybe someone who has investigated it more can give you a definate answer on that part.

Ahhh gotcha, you must have one of those weird GC hubs that has the tone ring as part of the hub rather than on the CV! Yeah, that wont work for you then unfortunately :(

The GC hubs that I was using had the sensor pointing into the CV as well - sorry for confusing you, I totally forgot that there were those other type ones floating around!

If you get a new bearing, be sure to check out the drive flange once it is pressed out to make sure there is no damage to the stub, as it is common for them to get quite worn/eaten when the bearings go (especially if they have been driven on for a while before actually replacing the bearing).