Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

are chips shyte?

off2harrys

You get what you pay for, I mean how much info can you get about the map on it?

Have they tested it on similar vehicles? whats the AFR under power, wastegate spring psi etc

16psi is the limit, but you could run an inline restriction to taper it off.

just after a bit of extra power really i think my car runs 9psi standard so 16psi sounds like fun,the cars never really run right since i started modding it,i dont know bugger all about cars but my belief is that the modding ive done fmic,zorst etc would have upped the boost and my standard ecu aint tuned for that so im hoping since this is tuned for 16psi the fueling etc would be better suited,am i sort of correct??wish i never had to spend $1600 on 2 wisdom teeth the other week my g4 link fund is looking sad again :'(

What turbo are you running? you might have picked up a Psi or so with the exhaust and intake, are you running a highflowed dump pipe?

The best way to increase boost is with a chip, as the chip changes the Air and Fuel to match the increased boost.

You don't need your ECU chipped/re-tuned if you increase the boost, it already knows how much fuel to put in. The only time you would need to re-do the fuel map is if you tried running boost beyond what the map caters for, but in most cases the upper limit of boost/load on the map is around where the injectors upper limit is anyway.

Chip your ECU if you want to alter the ignition timing, alter the A/F ratios (you can lean them out considerably by split-railing the fuel lines), upping the boost without a EBC, or removing cuts. I would get a boost controller and try upping the boost - if its beyond what the ECU can handle then it will let you know.

As for TM chips, I would demand to see results from their original test car. Modifying the firmware on a car you haven't even tested anything on is asking for trouble. Dynamic seems quite good, but I would still be wary incase they are re-worked jap tunes. Avoid ModControl!

[/2cents]

Durty-Sanchez said:

You don't need your ECU chipped/re-tuned if you increase the boost, it already knows how much fuel to put in. The only time you would need to re-do the fuel map is if you tried running boost beyond what the map caters for, but in most cases the upper limit of boost/load on the map is around where the injectors upper limit is anyway.

Chip your ECU if you want to alter the ignition timing, alter the A/F ratios (you can lean them out considerably by split-railing the fuel lines), upping the boost without a EBC, or removing cuts. I would get a boost controller and try upping the boost - if its beyond what the ECU can handle then it will let you know.

[/2cents]

Sure, but i think the best way would be to run a chip. You'll get better boost response, better economy (not always) and most importantly the removal of your boost and speed cuts, no point in raising the boost if you hit the limiter.

Chips have their good points, they can remove the cuts and spice up your fuel/ign maps if done well. They suck at boost control though, I'd never rely on a factory ECU for boost management - especially with the older ECU's. Even if you did rely on the chip to do your boost you're stuck with that one boost setting until you get a new chip. At least with a boost controller you can set it to whatever you want whenever you want to.

Ideally if you just want to run more boost you'd want to run a good aftermarket controller for boost, and if you hit the ECU limits then think about a chip or maybe just a fuel cut defender. If you want to tweak the rest of the maps at the same time then controller + chip are your only options to do it properly without forking out for an aftermarket ECU.