Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tyre and suspension upgrade

Ok so im upgrading my tyres as the old ones are buggered and my shocks and springs as the shocks are buggered, standard shocks done almost 200,000km.

Tyres; im leaning towards the bridgestone potenza re002, or i have been recomended a nitto nt555. Any one have any advice on some tyres, i want something that should be a good all season tyre that i can push hard around the twistys.

Suspension; springs kings superlows and shocks monro gas shocks. i know there are better options out there but my budget isnt massive around $1600 for suspension

Yeah i was considering adjusties, dont wont a really hard ride, i had bc golds in my old laurel and they were horrible on the road even on the softest setting, maybe different with a better brand

Im finding d2\'s brilliant idk the spring rates though. Going from a 215/35/18 to a 215/40/17 made a huge difference too.

Ive got stock rear struts and sti fronts with camber bolts complete bolt in on tm $200 atm. Not bumper scraping material either.

Ive got a mate running D2s aswell has said the same, im assuming they are a lot better than they use to be, i know when they first came out they had issues with them leaking and you couldnt rebuild them

Man for that coin you could get some really good gear (second hand)

I\'d rate some second hand teins / cuscos / zerosports whatever over new d2s, you\'ll find some models of them are really compliant too, not the bone rattling ride you had.

Just cause they\'re "adjusties" doesn\'t mean they have to be ridiculous firm spec, just shop around, there\'s a lot of guys here who just hoard some good gear haha

Hell even just some good struts & springs (like those? ^^), a pair of swaybars, some of the under braces that crop up now & then, and some decent bushes (like anti lift, steering rack nolothane etc) and you\'ll transform the car and still be under that budget easy

Rear sway bar absolutely transformed my gf8. I think spring rate has a massive effect as does damping. Platform helps too. Id do the rear sway bar, alignment and anti lift shims - free mod see how you like the difference before you throw in diff struts and spend a whole lot of coin.

Ive got a rear 23mm sway bar in at the moment and front cusco k brace, the shocks are buggered, starting to knock so i really need to get them done, so thought i would do something with the springs while im at it, bushes are also on the list of things to do

DXROLLA said:

Also are semi slicks suitable for on the road i.e if it rains? Are they still going to out grip a normal road tyre such as the re002, or are they best for the track?

soft semislicks are wasted on the street for A -> B. they wont grip properly till you warm them up anyway, and by that stage you\'re looking for a speeding ticket :) you\'re also looking at the wear rate from the harsh road surface

the only benefit from streeting the r888\'s was the better feel from the reinforced sidewalls. not sure if you can get that on a road-tyre?

get a decent set of road tyres for the road. in my limited experience, best i\'ve used where a set of michelin pilot preceda\'s

R888s are very "streetable"... if you have deep pockets then by all means put them on a daily driven car,

and you will love them. It would only be a "waste" if you needed them for racing, but used them all up on daily

driving, then couldn\'t afford to replace them for racing.