Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Equal length headers

patooks

Was wondering if all the 2003-2006 Legacy gt models come with equal length headers? And if so is it only the difference between the equal and unequal headers that give the the different engine sounds like the older subies?

Cheers.

Generally, if the turbo is twin scroll it will have equal length headers.

These mean that the exhaust pulses are equal and no longer has the signature Subaru rumble.

I forget the science of it, but basically in order to get any benefit from TS turbo the headers need to be EL. I have read in places that EL headers even benefit SS turbos.

My STI is TS and has EL headers and personally I love the exhaust note. I find the rumble can get pretty annoying :P

Just wondering if the newer sti\'s like 2010 onwards have equal or unequal length headers? Some i have heard seem to still have a faint rumble to them and don\'t sound like my 04 gt legacy that has equal headers.

Cheers

I think even some of the 2007 legacies also come with twin scroll turbo\'s, chimera from legacygt.com (he\'s probably on here too) has a 2007 with twin scroll but not the TD04.

afaik only the models with the 2.5L engine have single scroll and UEL headers.

evowrx']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

if you want rumble. buy some UE headers and a single scroll turbo. get car re-mapped. done

/quote]

Need a custom turbo to intercooler pipe made up Id be picking.

probably just a silicone bend (cheap)

also need a downpipe to fit the single scroll turbo.

at the end of this you\'ll lose some early spool, not sure how dramatic but mine gets to 1.2bar before 3k rpm in 3rd gear.

The other thing you could do would be to transplant a EJ25 in from a newer model, not sure how much these would go for in little old NZ.

Anyway, whatever you do I\'d be keen to see the results, it\'s the one thing I think us BP/BL owners miss out on :)

ADIKT']

[quote name='evowrx said:

Bolt on flange by memory.

/quote]you are correct.

(get both flanges removed - get the end beaded and finish with silicon pipe)

Only need one flange removed - the intercooler end lol. But theyre not round are they slightly rectangle shaped? Only seen one VF38.

evowrx']

[quote name='evowrx said:

Bolt on flange by memory.

/quote]you are correct.

(get both flanges removed - get the end beaded and finish with silicon pipe)

Only need one flange removed - the intercooler end lol. But theyre not round are they slightly rectangle shaped? Only seen one VF38.

i thought the turbo had a flange on the compressor which bolted to a flange on bottem of IC?