Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Recommendations or reviews?? Dobi springs vs King springs

I have a v8 sti and going to drop it 30mm but wondering which is the better spring?? I use my car for a daily driver but want to do a couple of track days a year. Lowering if for better handling and mostly to get the gap less. What has people thought about there springs??

• Admin

Handling-wise? The STI springs. They\'re matched to your dampers and configured for optimum geometry for handling. You\'ll have a hard time improving on them without changing dampers or going to adjustable coilovers.

Yeah just dont want to go to coilovers. I know they will be better but just want a little drop to get rid of the gap more and dont really want to spend 2k on a smaller drop as the roads in rotorua arent the best.

boon said:

Handling-wise? The STI springs. They\'re matched to your dampers and configured for optimum geometry for handling. You\'ll have a hard time improving on them without changing dampers or going to adjustable coilovers.

• Admin

It grinds my gears when I see STIs, which are more or less a road-going rally car, sacked out in the name of "looks"

They\'re a go-around-corners-fast car. Not some VIP slug for doing laps around the square in Palmy. Considering you can\'t even see the damn thing when you\'re sitting in it driving it, is it really worth compromising the fundamental performance feature (the handling) just so it can look cool for the 7 minutes a week you look at it parked up?

Haha i agree. Wasnt going to go further then 30mm which is about where the wrc cars sit and the look i want to achieve minus all of the stickers

boon said:

It grinds my gears when I see STIs, which are more or less a road-going rally car, sacked out in the name of "looks"

They\'re a go-around-corners-fast car. Not some VIP slug for doing laps around the square in Palmy. Considering you can\'t even see the damn thing when you\'re sitting in it driving it, is it really worth compromising the fundamental performance feature (the handling) just so it can look cool for the 7 minutes a week you look at it parked up?

Wouldnt the factory springs be built as a compromise between handling and comfort tho? Obviously the sti would be a tad stiffer than non sti coz more given to handling than comfort.

Not saying that dobi/king are better at all.

Just trying to get less wheel gap and finding the best spring for it

evowrx said:

Wouldnt the factory springs be built as a compromise between handling and comfort tho? Obviously the sti would be a tad stiffer than non sti coz more given to handling than comfort.

Not saying that dobi/king are better at all.

Ok throw this argument out there

Why does every "special edition" model come with (normally) a "lower ride height" (10-20-30mm) over the bog standard model

Why do STi make springs like that at all

To *a point* going lower generally will improve things - like anything you can go too far but as a real generalisation yes it would help

And hell if nothing else the arch gap in late model subarus is pretty heinous, can\'t argue that haha

(On topic brand doesn\'t matter sweet F-all - it\'s a spring, a wound coil of steel - if the rate and windings are the same between brand A and B you\'ll get the same result)