Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Reflashing stock ecu's for multiple maps.

lunchie

Hey all just wondering is it possible to reflash a stock GD wrx 2001-2005 so it has 2 different maps, one with higher boost for 98 and one tuned for 95 and better fuel econ. Was wondering what options there are for switching maps?

Reason is that the car would be run mostly around town where 98 is available but then also in queenstown and central areas where only 96 is available.

So what are the options there? can two maps be programed and easily switched? can a 98 tuned map survive the odd tank of 95? Should you use 95 and an octance booster or what?

boon said:

From what I understand, you\'ll be fine on 95 with a 98 map as long as it\'s not tuned to the ragged edge, just don\'t cane it.

cheers man, I thought that might be the case but I am hanging out for some advice from some of the tuners that hang around on this site

Yes BUT

tune is an open source project, called carberry. Is an open source hack of the factory sti rally computer, designed to run with a 32mm restrictor. It\'s a speed density tune, utilising the M.A.P. sensor, and afm for air temp, but you can also run a link I.A.T. mounted into the manifold or intercooler, and totally ditch the AFM.

Runs things like on the fly map switching, rotational idle, flat foot shifting, spark cut launch control, antilag, all of which are switchable using in car commands (a/c on, headlights, i/c spray auto button etc)

Takes a MASSIVE amount of time, effort and petrol just in logging daily drives, power runs etc before you can get a base tune, which needs to be adjusted again once running the tune, using lots of petrol time and a good wideband.

Hence, a wide range of user tuned maps arent available, everyone kinda keeps their tune quiet due to the shear amount of effort to build them.

Paimei said:

I can map twin boost maps on most 01-05 WRX/Sti ECUs without using the carberry speed density ROM.

That would be partially useful but its not just the boost that would need twin maps though, would need ignition, timing fueling etc. otherwise an EBC would work just as well as 2nd boost map for the purposes of protecting the engine wouldn\'t it?. I mean it\'s not high boost I am worried about as much as det from advanced timing/ignitions maps that would be fine on 98 but det on 95

Is this for your car

For what its worth I have seen tunes done in the past where anything under say 15psi was the "road" tune, set for 95 or 98, then anything over 17 or 18 psi was set to be the "race" tune and ready for angry race gas etc (the psi numbers might be off but you get the point)

Just meant that rather than having 2 maps, it was just setting A or setting B on the boost controller which determined what happened. Poor mans way of doing two maps but it worked just fine for the purposes of go-fastness. Bit of a compromise as obv gains to be had with the areas under full noise but end of the day still worked fine for the application

Marky said:

Is this for your car

For what its worth I have seen tunes done in the past where anything under say 15psi was the "road" tune, set for 95 or 98, then anything over 17 or 18 psi was set to be the "race" tune and ready for angry race gas etc (the psi numbers might be off but you get the point)

Just meant that rather than having 2 maps, it was just setting A or setting B on the boost controller which determined what happened. Poor mans way of doing two maps but it worked just fine for the purposes of go-fastness. Bit of a compromise as obv gains to be had with the areas under full noise but end of the day still worked fine for the application

To be honest the questions is more out of concern for a lack of 98octane late at night in some of the rural areas around NZ during summer road trips u know?

if looking at boost controller settings, i can do 6 on mine.

carberry is the only thing i\'ve found that will allow a full second fuelling / timing / ignition / AVCS / boost tune, switchable on the fly, utilising the stock ECU with borrowed push button inputs.

there may be others out there, but that\'s the only one i\'ve found.

It is possible to map for low and high octane fuels if using twin boost maps. The boost maps can be switched on the fly via the OEM ECU with a remap with the requisite software patch. The switching is done via a combination of rpm and throttle position.

The ignition can be retarded and fuel enriched in the ignition/fuel map in the load cells accessed by the low boost setting for lower octane fuel. I usually set boost around 0.8 bar for 95 octane depending on the application. Conversely ignition can be advanced and fueling leaned out in the ignition/fuel map for the load cells accessed by higher boost setting when higher octane fuel is used. The user needs to be careful that the car is not driven on high boost with 95 octane in the tank of course.

The approach is of course sub-optimal in comparison to fully independent twin fuel/ignition maps per the carberry rom or aftermarket ECU platforms. The downside is that with higher octane fuel in the tank you do not gain any efficiency at the lower boost setting.

• 2 years later...