Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Steering Issues with V7 WRX STI

The other night I was driving home (Version 7 WRX STI) and just before I got on the motorway my handbrake light and battery light both came on and my steering became really really tight like it lost the power steering.

I managed to make my way back avoiding some long corners. The steering feels like there is no power steering anymore even though my power steering fluid is full.

The handbrake is down, yet the handbrake light still stays on and the battery light is on also. I haven't been able to get my car to a shop as you can't turn the wheel properly.

Anyone got any ideas?

Just checked it. There seems to be a lot of strands loose and hanging around in the engine bay it looks like its come from the belt as you can see where the strands used to be. It's like electrical wire thickness all hanging around the belt. :'(

I have had a 100km service last month if that counts for anything.

Guest loren
 RAYDEO']

[quote name='Jza said:

Most definately :(

Might need to get it towed back to mechanics

/quote]

its not that serious, id drive it... i drove 4POSSM's GT wagon to the mechanic with no power steering... heavy but once your moving its ok...

power steering is not the issue, it's no alternator, which means a tow.

personally, if it was so munted you'd need a tow, I'd just fix it myself, then go yell at the mechanic.

• Admin
 loren']

[quote name='Jza said:

/quote]

its not that serious, id drive it... i drove 4POSSM's GT wagon to the mechanic with no power steering... heavy but once your moving its ok...

personally, if it was so munted you'd need a tow, I'd just fix it myself, then go yell at the mechanic.

good point forgot about the ault...

although Ricks GT ran for around 4 days with a buggered ault... but yeah id just DIY

Guest loren
 RAYDEO']

[quote name='Jza said:

/quote]

although Ricks GT ran for around 4 days with a buggered ault... but yeah id just DIY

really? I went for a drive, not realising the alternator was not connected, and got less than half a km!

needed to call the AA, who charged the battery for 10 minutes, then told me to drive home without

the head lights as fast as possible. I got half way up my steep driveway, and had to charge the battery

a bit more :)

• Admin
 loren']

[quote name='Jza said:

/quote]

really? I went for a drive, not realising the alternator was not connected, and got less than half a km!

needed to call the AA, who charged the battery for 10 minutes, then told me to drive home without

the head lights as fast as possible. I got half way up my steep driveway, and had to charge the battery

ha! makes you wonder why people are raving about electric cars... :P

RAYDEO']

[quote name='Jza said:

/quote]

ha! makes you wonder why people are raving about electric cars... :P

I bet AA wont be happy about electric cars, imagine the callouts they are going to get!! Good to see you got it fixed easy, always more satisfying when you do it yourself.

Guest boostin
 CUDDAS']

[quote name='Jza said:

Fixed, replaced alternator/power steering belt myself. Cheap as and pretty easy in the end :)

/quote]

+1 on doin it your self mate, they should have picked that up on your 100k service tho, shame if they replaced your cambelt they would of removed both those belts.

Or they stuffed it up putting it back on....

Jza said:

Just checked it. There seems to be a lot of strands loose and hanging around in the engine bay it looks like its come from the belt as you can see where the strands used to be. It's like electrical wire thickness all hanging around the belt. :'(

I have had a 100km service last month if that counts for anything.

First up. With the symptoms you described i would have thought that the first thing you should have done is stop and look under the big piece of metal that sits out front of your windscreen. (It's called a bonnet.)....

2nd.. I would be getting a new workshop to do your servicing...

Those belts are CLEARLY JUNK.. this is not the sort of thing that happens overnight.

Any workshop worth anything would have told you that the belts were stuffed.

It happen late at night so couldn't really see anything under the hood at the time. So, had to wait till the next morning.

Yep, most definitely won't be going back there again. Probably don't want to post their name though, but if you get your cars serviced out south aucks area and you want to know it PM me.

Will be getting the clutch replaced on Thursday and it won't be from there. Fingers crossed.