Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Reverse camera wiring ?

lerroy

Hey all

Jut got a new head unit and has a reverse camera input.

Has anyone on here done a reverse camera install ? I want to mount above the number plate so trying to work out best way to get the RCA wire to the head unit.

Also a good a good route for it to be powered off the reverse lights...

Installing into a Gen 3 BH legacy. (2003)

The RCA wire would have to go through the Boot Hinge Tail Light Loom?

Your Power Feed, could run through a 12v Relay to the Camera.

Then use the Gearbox Reverse Switch as the Signal voltage to switch the Relay on/off.

Then your Camera wont drain Voltage/Amps from your Reverse Lights causing them to dim.

Rosssub said:

The RCA wire would have to go through the Boot Hinge Tail Light Loom?

Your Power Feed, could run through a 12v Relay to the Camera.

Then use the Gearbox Reverse Switch as the Signal voltage to switch the Relay on/off.

Then your Camera wont drain Voltage/Amps from your Reverse Lights causing them to dim.

Awesome great idea RE: relay does mean running a longer wire all the way to the gear stick.

The head unit has a lead to the gearbox reverse switch to trigger the head unit which is handy

Sweet, Remote Power Wire. So you don\'t need the Relay etc.

Just a straight Power Feed from Battery to Camera.

With a Fuse near the Battery.

With the New Head Unit, you will want to run a new Power Feed from Battery also (fuse).

Rosssub said:

Sweet, Remote Power Wire. So you don\'t need the Relay etc.

Just a straight Power Feed from Battery to Camera.

With a Fuse near the Battery.

With the New Head Unit, you will want to run a new Power Feed from Battery also (fuse).

Yeah I think I will still need the relay or wire into reverse lights. The remote trigger just tells the head unit to change the screen to the reverse input,doesnt actually turn the camera on.

Why would I need to run a new wire from battery ? Cant I just use the existing AC to the current head unit ? (aftermarket)

lerroy said:

Yep thats right...head unit to gear selector

The only wire to head unit from camera is a RCA video signal, the camera then has a positive and negative wire for power.

Cool.

So you will need the 12v Relay.

Camera - Black/Earth straight to the Boot.

Power Feed from Battery, to a Fuse, into a 12v Relay mounted near the Camera. Then from 12v Relay to Camera +.

The Relay needs to be earthed, 4th pin.

Then Signal/Switching Wire from Gear Box Reverse Switch to Relay, switches Relay On/Off.

;D

This will stop the already dim BH Reverse Lights, from going even dimmer when the Camera turns on.

RE - New Head Unit Power Feed.

Use original Feed, but if you notice the Head Unit Screen Dims when the Head Lights turn on.

Or if the Screen dims with Base/High Volume.

You need a Bigger Gauge Power Feed, the OEM wiring is too small for your After Market Head Units Power Drain.

Also has makes a "BIG" difference to Speaker/Sound output.

Running new Thicker Gauge Wiring, from Head Unit to Speakers does the same. Better sound/less distortion etc.

Roo said:

Camera will make no difference to reverse light brightness, current draw is insignificant

Nice, that makes it easy then.

Just run Camera Power Feed straight from Reverse Lights Power.

If you start popping Reverse Light Fuses, then look into the Relay idea.

just as an aside, if you want to run a larger power to the rear hatch there is already one there that is powered on with the key, it is used to park the rear wiper :) quite large and rarely used :) I use them to wire a rear door lock buzzer in our minibus\'s ( COF requirement in non central locked minibus)

We are borg said:

just as an aside, if you want to run a larger power to the rear hatch there is already one there that is powered on with the key, it is used to park the rear wiper :) quite large and rarely used :) I use them to wire a rear door lock buzzer in our minibus\'s ( COF requirement in non central locked minibus)

Great ill check this out. Maybe use this as power and reverse lights as trigger for relay. :)