Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fresh rebuild, now won't start

Ben

Hi all.

Finally finished my rebuild and started the car for its first time tonight. All seemed to be running fine for the first 30kms.

Now the car won\'t start...

It happily cruised along but if left to idle it will just die after roughly 1 minute.

The second time I started it, everything seemed normal again however when I was cruising down the road the car just randomly shut off!

I then started it for a 3rd time and everything was fine. I left the car to idle and yet again it died after roughly 1 minute.

The car is now sitting in my driveway, it will crank but nothing else.

Any suggestions? I know it could be a number of things but some good things to check would be good, I\'m a fair novice with this sort of stuff!

Such a disappointment, especially as Ive just spent till now (1am) pushing the dam thing home! So close yet so far =s

Will check tonight. Was more curious in the mean time as to whether there was a straight forward explanation (silly thought?).

Whats the best way of checking the fuel pressure while cranking?

Will check codes after work as well, never done this but looks straight forward enough =D?

Was the CEL on while driving/running?

Check CEL first (diagnostics).

Then check for Spark at the Plugs. Is Spark good?

Then if you haven\'t got a Fuel Pressure Gauge to attach to check fuel pressure, then just pull the fuel hose at the Manifold. Point the hose into a jar or bottle and have someone turn the key. The Pump will squirt when the Ignition is turned on, then should give a good strong flow when cranking the engine over.

Hi Ross, your always lurking around to help me out . . I like it =)!.

Haven\'t seen the CEL on while driving, running or anything since first starting the car.

Should I take the plugs out and crank the engine to see if there is a spark?

No pressure gauge, will find a jar or something for petrol. I bought a new fuel filter today to see if theres any change - doubt it but it probably needed doing anyway as hasn\'t had one in the last 60kms.

On a side note, the car has been sitting on my driveway for approx 10 weeks. It has 2/3rd tank of fuel in it. This surely wouldn\'t spoil in this time, or be the cause of my woes?

;D

Yip, pull Plug out and fit the Coil/Lead. Then earth the Plug onto the Block and crank the motor over.

Should see a good clean strong Spark.

Sitting for 10 weeks shouldn\'t cause the petrol to go stale. But with 10 weeks of evaporation, you could have moisture in your fuel?

When you test the Pump pressure, use a clear container and leave the fuel to sit. If there is water in your fuel it will separate in the jar.

Ross - excellent I will try your technique and let you know how I get on. Possible to have moisture, I swear Ive lost about 1/4 of a tank just sitting there!

Mark - yes it almost just dies instantly, I was driving happily no issues at 80kms then it just turned off on me. In one instance it died when I had the bonnet open, idling rough for maybe 2 seconds before turning off.

Well . Fuel pump cranked over fine and primed fine . It was a tiny bit slower when cranking but I think that was just down to the battery sucking a bit more juice . Looked at fuel . Seems a bit yellow ? No water in it though ( little bit as I had to clean the bottle out ! ) only 1 or 2 ml from this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel is different colours for different octanes.

Agree with above really sounds like it\'s running out of fuel.

I would also consider the idea of maybe backprobing the 5v feed and watching it when thw car dies

I should be able to bleed it out by letting the pump prime itself several times without starting the car correct ? Unsure what they are supposed to look like I shall google this =]

Ben said:

Hmmm pcsv looks to be under the intake manifold ? We didn\'t touch this at all literally unbolted it and set it aside

The Sensor mounted on the front of the Manifold, beside the Throttle Cable Mount (green plastic). One vac hose from the Sensor goes to Manifold, the other connects to the Fuel Tank Vent/Purge Line (3rd small hard fuel line).

Will have a look when it cools ross, thanks !

Took it for another drive to get her home. All was fine, but yet again after about 15 minutes driving the car hesitated a couple times ,500m after this it suddenly just turned off. Would not start again, left it for 5 minutes and it started and drove me the last 1km home like normal!

Its almost as if when the engine gets to a certain temperature it shuts off. When you wait a while and let it cool it will run as per normal.

There was no time it stalled on idle tonight, even after doing a few things I did last night to try and make it stop.

Still no CEL.

So ???

Ben said:

Will have a look when it cools ross, thanks !

Took it for another drive to get her home. All was fine, but yet again after about 15 minutes driving the car hesitated a couple times ,500m after this it suddenly just turned off. Would not start again, left it for 5 minutes and it started and drove me the last 1km home like normal!

Its almost as if when the engine gets to a certain temperature it shuts off. When you wait a while and let it cool it will run as per normal.

There was no time it stalled on idle tonight, even after doing a few things I did last night to try and make it stop.

Still no CEL.

So ???

Definitely Fuel/Pump/Purge related. Your Fuel Pump is either dying, or losing power (faulty relay or circuit, bad earth maybe).

Looking at wiring diagrams the fuel pump relay/ECU/Main relay are all earthed together.

Maybe a loose or dirty Earth at the Block or front guard?

Still unsure. What makes you think it is fuel related?

Tonight I have cleaned my AFM

Tested my coolant temp sensor (so annoying, had to take the alternator off due to lack of tools). Put it in a cup of water and gradually increased the temperature right up to about 90 degrees Celsius - resistance seemed on par from what I could find on the internet.

If the coolant temp sensor was playing up, would it have the capability of telling the car to shut down instantly? I noticed the car wouldn\'t start when removed. Unsure if its important or not but the car is currently running straight water for its initial bed in process.

Really annoying as I cannot test the fault without taking it for a 15 minute drive and then getting stranded somewhere! Starting to get even more frustrated =S

Ben said:

Still unsure. What makes you think it is fuel related?

Tonight I have cleaned my AFM

Tested my coolant temp sensor (so annoying, had to take the alternator off due to lack of tools). Put it in a cup of water and gradually increased the temperature right up to about 90 degrees Celsius - resistance seemed on par from what I could find on the internet.

If the coolant temp sensor was playing up, would it have the capability of telling the car to shut down instantly? I noticed the car wouldn\'t start when removed. Unsure if its important or not but the car is currently running straight water for its initial bed in process.

Really annoying as I cannot test the fault without taking it for a 15 minute drive and then getting stranded somewhere! Starting to get even more frustrated =S

Are you checking the Spark or Fuel when it wont start?

If it was the Coolant temp sensor you would have a CEL, it can cause rough idle or hard starting but not shut the engine off.

You are losing Spark or Fuel. No CEL\'s.

If your losing Spark, it\'s ignition related.

If your losing Fuel, it\'s Fuel related.

Haven\'t checked on side of road when it stops yet. Need to get some good gloves so I can whip the plugs out without scalding myself !

Really frustrating with my limited to no knowledge with this sort of stuff !

Ben said:

Haven\'t checked on side of road when it stops yet. Need to get some good gloves so I can whip the plugs out without scalding myself !

Really frustrating with my limited to no knowledge with this sort of stuff !

Get an old park light bulb, or a 12v test lamp and wire it to your fuel pumps power. So you can monitor when the Pump is engaging.

Maybe carry a spare Spark Plug, then you only have to pull the Coil Pack out to test spark.