Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V3 gf8 idling rough ,inconsistent , hard to start dumping heaps of fuel on start

TBiz

Hi guys I was attempting to put in my yellow injectors. I started on cylinder 3 and only removed the 1 injector to discover the injector covers were not big enough to accomadate the bigger injectors . So I put it all back together. Now my car is hard to start has a big white cloud of gas smells real rich and idles rough like 3 cylinders but runs and boosts fine when driving. I\'ve checked cylinder 3 plug and it hasn\'t failed, also cleand my maf sensor and put injector cleaner in.. I\'m very confused what could this be? Cheers

Sounds like you may have pinched the o-ring and now its leaking into the cylinder. If you\'re lucky, it could also just be the extra fuel that drains out when you remove the injector.

Unbolt the fuel rail from the manifold (with all the lines, injectors still in place) and lift it up so you can see the bottom of the injectors. I slide a piece of white paper under them, then turn the key on then off a few times to pressurise the fuel lines. This way I can see if any fuel is leaking out the bottom of any of the injectors.

Also, are you just trying to replace Grey\'s with Yellow\'s?

Doesn\'t work. Unless you like running super rich and blowing smoke everywhere. But are you sure you\'ve got the Phase I Yellow\'s as they are physically the same as the Grey\'s.

Koom said:

Doesn\'t work. Unless you like running super rich and blowing smoke everywhere. But are you sure you\'ve got the Phase I Yellow\'s as they are physically the same as the Grey\'s.

aint unmodified p1 yellows 440cc and greys 380cc, I thinktop feed blue ones are the closest at 550cc

could be wrong :D

czar loc']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

aint unmodified p1 yellows 440cc and greys 380cc, I thinktop feed blue ones are the closest at 550cc

could be wrong :D

Yep. Grey\'s are 380cc. Yellow\'s are 440cc. And I\'m pretty sure the Phase II yellows are also 440cc but are called 550\'s on the internet as that is what they flow if you test them at 100% IDC. All the Yellow\'s flow ~550cc at 100% IDC.

I meant physically the same as in the shape of the body, not their flowrate.

I don\'t know what the problem you\'re having is but in relation to fitting the later model injectors..

You can use the later model injectors if you have the rails for a v5-6. Some of the non turbo rails fit the larger injectors but the bolt pattern is different than the earlier grey type(maybe some can work but not all at least). Ripping out all the old fuel lines and replacing with a split setup is easy as if you\'ve got the manifold off. You can also use the early model yellows (which are very easy to find and cheap) which bolt in directly to the existing rails.

All of that is pointless unless you have an ecu chipped for yellows or an ecu that you\'re going to tune. The car will run perfectly fine on yellows but the ecu will be over fueling the engine and it won\'t give any sort of power increase without a proper ecu/chip.

ID - manifolds/injectors/rails : http://www.carldavey.co.uk/article.php?id=4

Read more about this stuff : http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,8523.0.html

czar loc said:

So if he only took the injector out then put it back in and now has issues, were all rings there? 3 if I recall

It\'s really easy (common) to pinch one of the o-rings on re-installation and then they leak. They can be a pain in the ass at times and these days I always do a check for leaks out of the underside after doing anything with the injectors.

Thanks heaps guys. Yea pinched an o ring I thing I took them out ad put them in now all is sweet. The yellows I have are bigger on the top and have a square bit and the screws are not long enough to hold them in properly I assumed the would leak so I didn\'t bother with the hassle.

I do wanna split my fuel rail and I\'ll properly get a chip for it. But after looking at my mates v6 motor he has different caps on top of the injectors that bolt them down which mine doesn\'t have so not quite enough room to accomadate bigger injectors.