Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car thefts in AKL city up - Subaru Impreza their favourites

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10583589

Police believe skilled professional thieves are behind a sudden jump in the number of cars being stolen from Auckland City carparks.

Twenty-three cars worth about $200,000 were stolen from carparks in the first nine days of this month.

"We were averaging one or two a day in the last three months; at the moment it's three a day," said Detective Senior Sergeant Steve Breach of Auckland Central police yesterday.

The spate of thefts was of particular concern as the thieves appeared to be skilled.

"Very few people found broken glass when they went back and found their car missing," said Mr Breach.

"These guys are not just going 'wham bam' to break a window ... They appear to have more knowledge and the skills needed to force door locks."

He said the model of choice seemed to be the Subaru Impreza.

The thefts have been mainly from Wilson and Tournament carparks in the Cook St, Sale St, Victoria St West and Wellesley St West areas of the central city.

Sales co-ordinator Salmana Khan's Honda Integra was stolen from the Tournament carpark in Nelson St on Tuesday night.

The 23-year-old was devastated at the loss of her first car, which was fitted with an immobiliser and an alarm.

The thieves smashed a window to get into the car, and Ms Khan said they had little choice as an earlier break-in attempt had damaged the locks.

"You can't get in from the outside without the alarm control. I think that's why they had to smash the windows."

Tournament Parking manager Simon Rowntree said his staff had "worked extensively" with police over the past six to 12 months to combat car thefts.

Tournament was installing security cameras at central-city sites and security staff made frequent patrols of sites.

Wilson Group New Zealand chief executive Joseph Phillip Griffin said his company's carparks were patrolled by "a roving team of both branded and unbranded security cars" several times a day.

Long story short... DO NOT take your Subaru into the city if you can help it!! :'(

It's not just Auckland either... My car was targeted twice in 2 weeks, failed both times!

Needless to say the security has been bumped up again.

Shale said:

Nice to see you back from sin bin [again] ;D

My car's cooler than yours. Mine's already been stolen, and broken into 3 times. :P

I keep getting sin-binned but never actually sent off! Much like my sporting career!

If only the theives had done you a favour and burned it out! You might have been able to con the insurance company into giving you this ridiculously-inflated cash figure you keep dreaming about.

Nah reckon it was the piss-tiny brakes and distinct lack of any intercooler that drew them in ;D Considering they even opened the bonnet (and scratched it in the process) it would have been blatantly obvious they were stealing something that lacked a snail (or so you would think).

But yah. Was 5-star alarmed, and they took it without a peep. Got a different brand of alarm now, installed in a way that the previous break-in wouldn't be successful now, let's say...

On a serious note. This is all relevant to ClubSUB as many of us will at some stage be in Auckland if we don't live here already... try to avoid parking the car in the city. Or if you do, park it next to a security camera...or a more expensive car :P

Ross: your career as class clown is all dried up...your jokes are as old as time itself! Time for an injection of steroids to enliven those atrophied rubber bands, don't ya think? Those testo-pills may shrink yer crotch but no loss in this case :P

Here's a free tip. The Impreza's been hated on for nearly 4 years now, get with the times. I have a rat-sh!t Legacy now that hasn't been hated on yet. Not even one colour! Now if you don't jump on that one...do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Shale said:

Ross: your career as class clown is all dried up...your jokes are as old as time itself! Time for an injection of steroids to enliven those atrophied rubber bands, don't ya think? Those testo-pills may shrink yer crotch but no loss in this case :P

Here's a free tip. The Impreza's been hated on for nearly 4 years now, get with the times. I have a rat-sh!t Legacy now that hasn't been hated on yet. Not even one colour! Now if you don't jump on that one...do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I was actually being serious. I dont particularly hate on the Impreza.

Its hardly its fault that the person who owns it is retarded is it?

Apologies for taking so long, im trying to work aswell as post !!

No no, i have been posting without moderation for ages. Behaving myself too!

Shale said:

I'm shocked - and impressed. One of your longer stints without getting a crack over the knuckles ;) Well done.

Whenever Joker cracks me over the knuckles he always kisses it better afterwards!

Dubbedup-shhhhh!

Schnookums likes to think they can play a game against a born 'emotional terrorist', ne? Cute...

I guess if you bend over far enough the Captain will kiss ya better afterwards for the favour, eh? :3

Shale said:

Schnookums likes to think they can play a game against a born 'emotional terrorist', ne? Cute...

I guess if you bend over far enough the Captain will kiss ya better afterwards for the favour, eh? :3

What drugs are you smoking? You liked me again 5 minutes ago...now suddenly you dont?

*is unsure what he is supposed to have done*

Swindog: protect me from the emotional terrorist!!!

I hate it when they get emotional!