Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

AFC-12 & D1-Spec VSD 3 Ignition Booster System Setup.

GC82GO

How you all doing, fellow subaru lovers...... Anyway.. The other day, I purchased these Cheap lil addons for my RWD WRX build... a AFC -12 (Air Flow Calibrator) and a D1 Spec VSD 3 Ignition System. They were cheap off trademe, so i decided to give them a try. Now I have no idea if these will work on my 96 Ver 3 WRX..

First off, The AFC-12

img1363v.jpg

The guy I brought it off said he took it off his WRX Airflow Meter but forgot how it was wired up (typical), There is a Black, Red, Yellow and Blue wire, Guessing they are Ground, Constant power and ACC power... and the blue im not sure of, But im also not certain about the other wires also.. Ive Searched the world wide web on this *AFC-12* , but came back with nill results so no wiring diagrams...... Help would be Greatly appreciated..

Next is the D1-Spec VSD3 Ignition Booster System, Which claims to raise the iginition spark voltage from 12V - 16V.

img1359y.jpg

img1364g.jpg

Now... wiring is also the problem with this one also... It came with installation instructions, but are to vague for me.... So im lost... The thing that gets me is how i wire it to Each coil? Now....lol a noob question, but is that coil pack on my Version 3 engine on top of the Intake Plenium? anyway here is a picture of the Wiring Diagram that came with the VSD3

img1365w.jpg

Now this wiring Diagram shows a setup for a 4 Cylinder... Can someone just tell me where on my Ver3 ignition system i have to wire up the yellow wire and the white wire...

Thanks

My guess with the AFC device is that it alters the AFM signal by adjusting the two pots (screw things). In that case i'd expect red = power, black = ground, and the other two will be the input from the AFM, and the altered output that goes to your ECU. As to which power source you use I don't know, probably ACC so it's not on all the time. Anyway, that's my guess.

Ignition system.. looks interesting. If you look at your coilpacks they will have 3 wires going to them.. one will be 12v from the main power bus, the other ground, and one more will be the ignition signal. Your coils take the 12v from the main power bus and amp it up to something ridiculous to put through the spark plugs. The bigger the primary voltage, the bigger the output voltage. Anyway, the dashed purple line looks like it's meant to be the original 12v bus lines to each coilpack. What it's suggesting that you do is disconnect these wires from the coilpacks, and instead run a wire from the unit (yellow line) to each coilpack. That way the coils will be running off 16v instead, and the output voltage through the sparkplugs will be bigger. Remember to do something with the power wires to the coilpacks, you dont want them floating around or grounding anywhere.

I haven't got a clue what the purple lines are for. The white line might be the ACC signal to tell the unit to turn on.

Best of luck!

• 1 year later...

the wiring for that is easy. wiring it to the wasted spark is actually easier then doing this on a coil on plug.

12v feed for coil from engine loom joins to the white wire in the D1 thing.

12v feed in to the coil joins on to the yellow wire.

So its as simple as snipping the +12v feed wire to coils in half and joining each side to the D1 thing as I have written above

Red and black is streight forward.

the other 2 wires on the coil go to the ECU and they will be the trigger for the each side of the wasted spark coil so you won't need to touch these wires.

I have no idea if this will make any difference to your car as I havn't used this before.