Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gearbox swap.

Zach

Going to be getting a new clutch soon and was thinking while I'm at it I might as well upgrade my wrx 5sp to something stronger. If I'm going to be seeing 350hp would this stock r160 diff and axles be adequate? I've seen an sti 5sp gearbox which I thought didn't exist. Are they stronger? would I need to get matching driveshaft,diff,axles,hubs? I'm totally open to suggestions at this point. I have been reading up on flywheels and I think Im going to stick with a stock fly. I've still got 3 clubsub tabs open on drivetrain subjects that I'm reading up on. Thanks in advance for any advice or info at all.

Stock 5sp box is fine its more how you drive it anything can be broken if you try hard enough. Stock flywheel is fine. Sti 5 sp are often 4.4 as opposed to wrx 4.1 but need to check it. Funky on here has run r160 in racecar 300wkwish with no issues.

ok then thanks for that evo. I think I just upgrade clutch. If need be I can always get my gearbox rebuilt. also do you know if the r160 is an lsd? some say it is but some websites state its VC. and stock driveshafts are all good too huh? driveshafts.com are selling a 1 peice 1000hp capable bolt in drive shaft. But if stock is capable of 350 without problems then holy moly thats great news.

Edited by Zach

evowrx said:
Yep youre way over thinking this dude. Rape it till something breaks. What is the car?

Like Clint said your over thinking it.

I have Zachs car at my house currently getting engine replaced, its been hard to free time up to do it but new engine is in finally, (so i hope you don't mind me talking bout it and sharing some pics)

It hurt me to put that old clutch back in Zach lol, its very very close to the metal!

On a good note it will be ready today, on bad note there are some things that need attention before gearbox etc, although with the 230+ thou kms on the clock its probably fair to say the box won't last much longer if abused.

First on the list is o2 sensor. this is how your old one came out lol.. never seen anything like it haha

20140608_080807_zps7a532b85.jpg

You now have v3-v4 exhaust manifold so you can't run o2 sensor upstream you need to plump in o2 sensor to downpipe and run it down stream. whoever made your downpipe doesn't know what he doing, the bolt is stuck so can't undo and its way to close to the turbo anyway i wouldn't use it as it will burn any sensor, needs to be about 1 metre back.. pref where the exh temp sensor is(what you don't really need).

20140608_080535_zps2f60df35.jpg

I can weld in a o2 bung and replace the o2 sensor for you at a later stage as i understand you need your car back asap, i do have one around some where thats pretty much brand new just have to find it.

Will message you today.

Also Still need to know what flavour of oil you want to run.

Edited by hijacka

mean bro, love your car so much that thing pulls something cronic, thanks for the ride. Ill get onto buying stock box,clutch and sensor. after It's done at the panel beaters I'll hit you up. Thanks again your work is awesome.