Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car will hesitate when going uphill

ololiuqui

Hi!

Car is a Legacy twin turbo bg5

Had the car for a month now and all been working great. At the moment on a trip to the south island and the car suddenly started to lose power when going up hills, all turbo boost and everything just goes flat. Now the problem seems to gotten worse, it will hesitate and lose power when cruisin at 100km/h. The check engine lamp started glowing once but stopped and have not been on since.

What you recon it is? Gonna go to car mechanic tomorrow to get the OBD checked.

Rosssub said:
The secondary only kicks in above 4250rpm ish. Did the mechanic tell you what the fault code was exactly? 65? 66?

Oh, so the problem CANT be the second turbo then? No he never did, and i just called him after seeing what you wrote and he had forgotten it:mad: Well what should you have done in my position, kind of need the car since i got hotel in queenstown on monday.

Joker said:
so high load low rpms on 95 octane = pinking the knock sensor will be detecting knock not saying im right but that's what it will be

reset ECU or check codes

Cruisin at 100km/h is not high load low rpms tho? I did read the ecu, and it said something wrong with secondary turbo.

Rosssub said:
There's no specific fault code for the secondary turbo itself. Which fault code is it giving?

Oh, gotta love them car mechanics.. I have no ide, the guy that did the test just said the second turbo was bad, therefor the code.

^^ sounds right for pulling up hills but doesn't quite account for it doing the same thing during casual cruises aswell though joker. What does it do if you do a hard pull on the flat up to say 6000rpm

Thats what i think is so strange, if ur doing a start or just floor the pedal it downshifts and just charges away, no problem whatsoever. You can hear the overgo from turbo 1 to turbo 2 at 4500ish rpms.

ololiuqui said:
Oh nice, i will check tomorrow and get back to you guys.

Thanks for the help so far, lets hope we can solve this problem.

Sooo here we go again.

Code WAS 66, i found the guide to clean out the solenoid so i did. Did exacly as the guide and took it for a drive, noticed how the first turbo did not get any boost and the limp home was a fact. Check engine lamp went on.

However i managed to crack the vacuum pipe on the sensor exacly infront of the engine. The one where 3 vacuum goes down into the manifold and one is a sensor. Understand which one i mean?:P

So, i will fix a new sensor tomorrow, if that does not fix the problem, theres gonna be a cheap subaru gt in dunedin soon..

Rosssub said:
That's the purge control solenoid. Is that what you cleaned out?

I did follow this guide:

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php/topic/11043-code-66-and-boost-issueshow-to-clean-them-out/

However the sensor that was ruined is the one exacly behind the alternator if ur facing the engine from the front. And i googled purge control and it was not it.

Any suggestions what might made the car go even worse than before, if its not the now broken sensor that is.

Rosssub said:
Sweet, yeah that's the right guide. The solenoid near the alternator is the purge control solenoid.

Chances are it's the hose/broken fitting, causing a big boost leak/vacuum leak.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/WKkAAOxyEilSUuSH/$(KGrHqNHJBUFI27Em9dYBSUuSGGfcQ~~60_35.JPG

The sensor to the right of the t-cross where all the vacuumhoses goes into (second from left) Is that really a solenoid?