Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Buying a 2003ish wagon - sohc or dohc technical questions?

Norman1nz

Hey guys I've been digging around for info on this all night but finding it hard to get any reliable details.. Been reading the technical sticky here and I'm getting a lot clearer picture..

Well about me:

I had a 2002 nz new 2.0 legacy wagon manual company car a few years back and loved it (though we had a auto 98 250t wagon too which actually seemed slower n must've drank at least 50% more fuel).

I've been thinking about buying the same for myself ever since, and with my 4wd vans gearbox dead it's time to go shopping..

I saw a 2003 4th gen 2.5 nz new manual wagon with 150km on trademe yesterday which seemed almost perfect.. I was going to buy it this weekend but it just sold for $5500 so now I'm back to searching :-/

So back to my unanswered questions:

Is there any advantage of 2.5 (I guess these are all sohc in 3rd/4th gen) to the 2.0 dohc?

I hear the 2.5s have common headgasket problems but 2.0 much safer..?

And I believe the manual gearbox ratios on sohc 2.0 (and 2.5?) are a fair bit lower revving than dohc so more economical to run..?

What's the easiest way to ask a seller to identify if their car is sohc or dohc and are 2.0 NA dohc actually very common for nz or Japanese na legacys??

I particularly like the nz new cruise control and hi-lo ratio selectors which seem to be on all 3/4th gen NA nz new legacys, but if I can't find one would I expect somewhat similar fuel economy for cruising from the 2.5 vs 2.0 turbo and/or twin turbos?

And that's my plethora of questions - sorry for such a long first post but if u know answers to any of these questions I'd be happy to hear :-)

Cheers, Jeremy

If NZ New: ask for the engine code stamped on the VIN plate (tell them "it should go EJ2 something something" and most people should be able to find it)

If JDM: ask for first three characters of chassis code and Google it

As far as I'm aware the EJ25 head gasket issue is only on some earlier engines.

The EJ204 vs EJ253 thing is mostly a matter of market demographics - JDM is more tolerant of engines that need to be revved as they are taxed based on engine capacity. Most other markets, no replacement for displacement.

My sole advice is drive a 3.0 or 2l turbo before getting sold on the other models.

The 2.0 and 2.5 n/a models feel literally underpowered - like a 2l BMW does, like it's struggling. The bigger motors make it feel at least relaxed, ignoring the go-fast angle they more just feel competent

Hey guys thanks for the advice..

I'm looking to get this one and having a test drive the main problem is a rattle when launching..

01 250t $3500 220km

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=940621481

I hope it's just the exhaust else this would be my other choice

03 gt $6500 190km

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=935297310