Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP5 Legacy GT upgrade path

Legacy05

Hi all,

I am looking to keep my 2007 2.0 GT engine stock but to focus on bolt upgrades.

I have a G4+ link to control it but at this stage everythinf else is stock.

Whats the best path of upgrades to net some power gains?

As I understand it...

1) Exhaust upgrade

2) Intake upgrade

3) Turbo upgrade/intercooler upgrade

4) Injector upgrade???

Im looking for some solid direction regarding Turbo's and anything I am missing.

Looking for around 350HP-400 if possible.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just tune using factory ecu?

My thoughts about modding one of these using factory engine and gearbox is:

STI twin scroll turbo (and therefore STI exhaust mani and 3" wide mouth down pipe to suit)

2.5" catback exhaust system

Intake factory unless going to FMIC

A/M top mount intercooler

STI 550cc injectors

A/M fuel pump

Reflash/tune and i would think it would net around 230-240kw

pl0x said:
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just tune using factory ecu?

My thoughts about modding one of these using factory engine and gearbox is:

STI twin scroll turbo (and therefore STI exhaust mani and 3" wide mouth down pipe to suit)

2.5" catback exhaust system

Intake factory unless going to FMIC

A/M top mount intercooler

STI 550cc injectors

A/M fuel pump

Reflash/tune and i would think it would net around 230-240kw

Cheers for the advise.

It is for a kit car I am building (arrives soon) and it is a mid engine rear wheel drive configuration. I am needing the latest link G4+ so to have access to traction control via the re purposing of the ABS sensors. That kind of HP in a light weight RWD will be ripe for traction control.

Andy_Mac said:
Can you even use those links with cars running CAN systems? Or can you just keep the stock one running everything except the engine?

Not sure? Ill have to ask link? I am relatively ignorant when it comes to all things electrical.

As it is a kit car I am assuming it wont need much of the standard loom?

Oh if its for a kit car.

You will likely use custom intake, so ignore that comment. And i would mount a generic intercooler core somewhere as they are cheaper than the BP5 A/M top mounts

And then yes a link would be the best option.

Andy_Mac said:
Ahh yea forgot it was you with the kit car plan. Won't have any problems hust controlling the engine.

Man, 350-400hp in a car that size would be absolutly killer.

Yea if I can hit 400HP (will need a good turbo for that) it will be the same HP/weight ratio as a Bugatti V!

That's what I am after... With traction control of course

To be fair what you're looking for isn't so much a "legacy" upgrade path, just look online (or here) for a recipe for a 400hp EJ20

There isn't much required and the factory STi parts can get to that level with a little push in the right areas, and do it all day, forever (ish)

If the motor isn't in a stock chassis then the normal "bolt on" mods don't apply, just give it the right turbo, let it breathe (in and out), and give it enough fuel and robert's your mother's brother

Marky said:
To be fair what you're looking for isn't so much a "legacy" upgrade path, just look online (or here) for a recipe for a 400hp EJ20

There isn't much required and the factory STi parts can get to that level with a little push in the right areas, and do it all day, forever (ish)

If the motor isn't in a stock chassis then the normal "bolt on" mods don't apply, just give it the right turbo, let it breathe (in and out), and give it enough fuel and robert's your mother's brother

I am after true bolt on upgrades where possible.

What I am hearing is basically bigger turbo, let it breath better in and out, bigger injectors higher flow intercooler and a good tune?

Can you please post some links to bolt on turbo options you guys know of?

Buy a stock STi turbo and exhaust manifold setup, that's bolt on and capable of what you're asking (there's a wealth of info on what can flow what and which is best for what)

Exhaust is going to be custom made I assume anyway

Intake is a variety of simple intake pipes - they are about $100, all are much of a muchness really

Stock 550cc injectors wouldn't be far off those power numbers unless you're on E85

The "Legacy" bolt on path would be the expensive and hard road to take, treating it as simply a "EJ20" upgrade means you don't have this slightly oddball, bespoke vehicle to deal with, remember all the bolt on parts are designed around fitting into the bastard cramped subaru engine bay setup. With a small amount of fabrication (and I mean -small-) you could place whatever turbo you wanted, wherever you wanted, run your own intake, exhaust and intercooling arrangement, and spend half as much as having to buy the "bolt on" components

Marky said:
Buy a stock STi turbo and exhaust manifold setup, that's bolt on and capable of what you're asking (there's a wealth of info on what can flow what and which is best for what)

Exhaust is going to be custom made I assume anyway

Intake is a variety of simple intake pipes - they are about $100, all are much of a muchness really

Stock 550cc injectors wouldn't be far off those power numbers unless you're on E85

The "Legacy" bolt on path would be the expensive and hard road to take, treating it as simply a "EJ20" upgrade means you don't have this slightly oddball, bespoke vehicle to deal with, remember all the bolt on parts are designed around fitting into the bastard cramped subaru engine bay setup. With a small amount of fabrication (and I mean -small-) you could place whatever turbo you wanted, wherever you wanted, run your own intake, exhaust and intercooling arrangement, and spend half as much as having to buy the "bolt on" components

good info thanks.

I think still easier to go with the STI bolt on turbo and manifold. I will explore my options there.