Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Detonation in new 97 Sti on high boosting and cooling

timsub

Hiya Ive just brought a 97 sti with a rebuilt closed deck block with forged Pistons a apex fc Ecu gfb boost controler and 650cc injectors. It was tuned by torque performance for .9 bar and 1.5 bar and the mechanic says its detonating on high boost. Could this be the tune or would something not be upto the job of the high boost.

I was considering getting e and h in puky to give it a new tune to 18 psi or so hoping that's safe I would rather have it not go pop then a little extra power.

Also there is a slight split between the radiator and the left side tank that I was going to try use dynasteel epoxy b4 getting a new radiator and putting a stock radiator cap on insted of the 1.3 bar one but after seeing how tiny the water jackets are on a closed deck block I'm leaning towards getting a bigger alloy one to be safe, any advise?

Any ideas would be great and gotta say it's awesome being back in a Suby after driving a 0-100 in 22 seconds diesel ute I can't get the smile off my face

What fuel is in and what is it tuned for ? Is the first and easiest thing to check .

How qualified is your mechanis to know what detonation is ?

If you trust his word then yes get it on a dyno $60 for a dyno run is a **** load cheaper than new pistons

Turn the boost down and dont thrash it untill you fix both of these issues .

Tbph this thread reads like a troll of a rfb page on face book .

What is youe motor worth ?2k minimum . Right so dont be dumb, now go and buy a 200 alloy radiator off trade me and get someone whos competent at bleeding the coolong system to help u after u change it

Fixing a radiator with kneedit is fine for paddock cars . And nothing else . Potentially as a get u home from middle of nowhere scenario .

A power fc should be flashing the CEL if it's knocking (which you would expect if it's det'n)

You probably need to make sure you're running the highest octane fuel you can. bp 98 is what most get by with.

As above, why would you risk your car's engine for the sakes of getting out of buying a radiator O_O . Like seriously? 2nd hand radiators can get picked up for $50. The knead it stuff is probably going to set you back half of that anyway.

Take it to a shop that tunes power fc ecu's

Thanks 4 the reply yea tuned for 98 and only had 98 in it, just gonna get it dynod again and drop the boost a bit. Haha you guys must think I'm a silly c&$& just couldn't face doing it a day after I brought it for a little pin hole, but gonna get a alloy one and swapped my paddock thrasher's rad in there for the time being

Edited by timsub
Hit post by accident