Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Clutch replacement BG5

suspect

Hey guys,

Looking at replacing the clutch in my GTB (BG5 )Wagon, not for track use or anything just want something a little bit more rubust than factory.

Looking at a brand new Exedy clutch kit, includes clutch release bearing, cover assembly, clutch disc. For $500 in others experience is this a good price? Still waiting for specifications of kit to come through.

Any other recommendations.

Also is there anywhere which has alot of Aftermarket front parts for Legacy GTB's (BG5) around in NZ? I can't seem to find anywhere that has BG5 stuff. I quite like the charge speed front bumper but can't find one :(

Thanks in advanced.

I'm heading along the same road shortly and have decided to go with a factory rated one. Even though I do a few track days I prefer to have the standard rated clutch die instead of rebuilding the gearbox. Not this will stop it shredding gears if it's going to but rather have the weaker link in the drivetrain being the clutch nott he gearbox.

keltik said:

The stock clutch IS a exedy plate anyways, and its generally accepted it will take more power than most people will throw at it.

Exactly.

Ive tracked and dragged by GTB a few times and the stock clutch has no issues, not even with the occaisional clutch kick at autocrosses to help corner exit (I know I shouldnt but I dont like them STi's beating me and it doesnt happen often!). Ive yet to break a stock GTB clutch doing this either.

I have the exact same model car and I've just had mine replaced about 2,000km's ago and i just went for a genuine Subaru WRX Sti one that was supplied and fitted by local Subby dealer and the full clutch kit cost $690 inc gst with 12 months parts/labor warranty, I figured if the factory one put up with a 100,000km's of driving then chances are it'll do it again.

I've never seen the point of putting beefed up clutches in cars that are putting out maybe an extra 20kw max extra power than when they left the factory, unless your replicating Ken Blocks driving every day I wouldn't bother really, and I think clutches would be the least of your worries if that was the case though lol.

Have got to say the new clutch in mine made it a completely different car, it's now so easy to drove and no wild shudder every gear change! well worth the money in my opinion.

suspect said:

Hailz, was that $690 inl GST with fitment as well?

No just retail price for the kit, I could'nt tell you what the labour would be as my rear main seal was umm "leaking" ;) lol so the mechanical warranty guys payed for gearbox removal and refit, one thing the workshop manager streesed that I do while the box was out was replace the gudgeon plate at the rear of the block with a metal one as some of these models were fitted with plastic ones which can split and leak, something to think about perhaps :)