Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Police Radar

1994legacyrs

Radar Direct said:
DRIVER INFORMATION NOTICE JANUARY 2009 - NEW POLICE MOBILE RADAR SPEED CAMERAS

Redflex Traffic Systems of Australia won the New Zealand contract to upgrade the old film cameras with the latest in digital speed camera technology.

These new radar units started appearing on our roads in January 2009.

Unlike the speed cameras that we have been used to (which operated on the Ka band frequency) these new cameras operate on a low frequency K Band signal around the 24.085GHz range (normally K band radar is 24.150GHz).

Because of this “off” frequency point and a very low power output, detection is difficult for many radar units. Those without pulse detection systems are unlikely to give any warning. Those with K POP detection will give some warning range that is variable depending on what side of the road the Camera Van is parked on.

Testing indicates range can be 80-150m.

Since NZ had not used this frequency for over five years most detectors have had K band deactivated.

Proposed action:

Activate K band on your detector to detect the new cameras. If equipped also de activate POP mode.

Activation of the frequency will mean false alarms being detected from the likes of Petrol Station and shopping mall doors.

The benefit in reactivating K Band is that your unit will detect the Safety Warning System transmitters being installed in New Zealand and roadside speed warning signs that are often placed close to road works.

If your detector has GPS, re-read the manual and start using this useful feature to cancel out known false alarms. If your upgrading these GPS enabled units are fast becoming a must have feature.

The NEW Toyota and Mitsubishi vans of any colour are also more difficult to identify, so watch your speed and drive safe!

It actually doesn't tell me anything i didn't already know, especially about the low range detection. My Bel STi picks them up but only once I see them anyway, and by then it's too late. My way of thinking is if I can afford to speed, I can afford to pay the fines. I really only watch out for patrol cars themselves as demerit points come with those fines :(

I will however check to see if POP is activated or not on mine, then see if that makes any difference in range.

With an accurate speedo (see my jaycar post...), a gps navigation device which has an alert if you're over the speed limit.

I have been on several road trips to auckland and around the south island without the need of a radar detector, my V1 has sat at home for ages now...I stopped using it when they had the new digital cameras and it never picked those up, it was the newer POP2 version software one also

personally i swear by mine.

its an el cheapo but it picks up KA bands from cop cars when they leave me blaring on from upards of 1-1.5kms away on straight country road.

Its saved my ass a few times on the way to mount hutt.

less useful in town i dont really speed.