Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Complete re-spray, advice needed

Guest Rugged_RS

Guest Rugged_RS

My guys got my RS Leggy goin healthy(ish) now and its time i think to focus on the look, when i bought the car it had been (home jobbie as) resprayed and its messy in places and not very well done, now i wanna get it done properly and lookin tidy.

Currently its black and im thinkin of keepin it that way just want to know if anyone here can spray cars, or knows somewun who can do it fairly cheaply, i have no probs prepping the car myself (so long as i get told/showen how) but dont think im brave enough to spray it plus i dont have the equiptment...

So what would the cost be to get a full respray including a few clear coats etc?? Or does anyone here paint cars??

Rugged_RS said:

My guys got my RS Leggy goin healthy(ish) now and its time i think to focus on the look, when i bought the car it had been (home jobbie as) resprayed and its messy in places and not very well done, now i wanna get it done properly and lookin tidy.

Currently its black and im thinkin of keepin it that way just want to know if anyone here can spray cars, or knows somewun who can do it fairly cheaply, i have no probs prepping the car myself (so long as i get told/showen how) but dont think im brave enough to spray it plus i dont have the equiptment...

So what would the cost be to get a full respray including a few clear coats etc?? Or does anyone here paint cars??

This all depends on what your looking for really I spray most my own gear and it a hell of job to do whole car properly.. One thing i would say is " getting it done properly and cheaply" do not work well together most times.. usually you will get what you paid for. BUT

You should have a serious look at your car because if it's only a few panels that are cracked up or crappy, chances are you can save your cash by paint these to match, with a good cut and polish (buffed up) you will be amazed on just how much you save yourself and how well your car can be restored.

Another option is to do the panel repairs color matching, then sand it down wet 1500 - 2000 git sand paper and shoot a new layer of clear over it, maybe buy some pearl powder silver white or burgundy red mix that in with the clear and shoot it, over the black it will change the car appearance in the day light.

Doing the full car respray (may) cost around $2500-$3500 maybe more

panel repair and panel (depending) would be $500 -$700 maybe

Good cut and polish $180-$250

shooting clear about $1000 - $1500

These are just est... giving you a few options before dig in.

I was thinking the same but after this post im thinking about only getting the Roof, Bonnet and front right panel (my clear seal has peeled due to heat from the engine :| )

Thanks for the advise :D

you saved meh moneyz (in the future)

if you know a car painter it can be a lot cheaper my panel and paint cost $720 for materials and i'd say about 1000 on labor i was helping sand it between coats.

We did nine coats in total and that included the clear and the pearls

plus he could only do it on the weekends so i was without i car for a good six weeks.

also we didn't paint the engine bay or inside the doors, i was been told this would of cost another grand in labor.

Guest Rugged_RS

thanks guys for the input, mite look at getting individual pannels colour matched... could be tricky bout it sounds like the way to go, yeah gotta love the ol' cut n' polish ;D

I can show you what $2000 will buy you.

it'll convince you to leave as is or spend TWICE that.

Seriously...do it yourself or do it right...it's NOT WORTH going for a cheapie. TRUST ME.

Loud_As can vouch for the sh!tty paintjob on my car!

Does yours include the wrong clearcoat, fading to yellow in the sun and removing all the blue from your Blue Steel...and include flaking off around the edges? :( I also noticed orange peel on mine when I was polishing it a few weeks back. f**kin idiots... :'(

Guest Rugged_RS

Oh... okay, shale takes the cake... haha mines just a crappy black with i dont think ANY clearcoat at all and its a bit bubbly round the doors, also the idiots obvesioly didnt sand back tha bumber cause its almost all flaked off...

Lol it sounds similar. They didn't sand ANY of my car - the paint re-showing is a gorgeous silver - and didn't prime it either. Peels off clean and shiny. And they just masked, they didn't remove any of the weather strips or anything! And that cost me $2k. Idiots!

I'm getting the back end resprayed after yesterday's accident; if their job is as mint as they say it is, then I'll bite the bullet and get a quote for the other end :D

Guest Rugged_RS

Haha think they'l notice if i slip my waggon in when they aint watching? lol... yeah the basta%d$ that did mine painted all the rubbers round the doors and windows, made a mess of it and destroyed the rubber :(

WTFFFFF they sprayed over the rubber?! Okay, my idiots didn't do that! :(

If you're up for the investment...black is the easiest colour to re-do yourself (or...err...the most difficult to f**k up). My wagon's going black too, probably a home job since it's a 1990 :) She's a tough old b!tch, my tank...won't mind a home respray!

Guest Rugged_RS

Oohhh... well considering we know what NOT to do... what NOT to f*^k up im sure itd be ok ;D can't get much worse then it already is hahaha, but seriously i need some help lol

Guest Rugged_RS

Yeah i know the ins and outs of how to paint .. but actually doing it is a bit daunting lol never tried but i mean it cant get much worse so its worth a go ;D

Guest Rugged_RS

Well not auckland but its close enough for me.. and i wouldn't want to drive a honda ever again... whats wrong with urs?? dont feel cool like when ur in the subbie?? hehe ::)

pappu said:

dont know much abt cut and polish..

does it have a nitceable difference?

is there any downside to it?

big difference if done right, meguiar's carry most of the best stuff if you want DIY cut and polish, check out there website for the DIY tips..

I stole theSe from Meguiar's forum, But gives you the idea of a cut n polish.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33

BEFORE SHOT:

2mb2grossswirls1jrawmed.jpg

AFTER SHOT:

2mb2grossswirls1k898825.jpg

ONLY HALF THE BONNET WAS DONE.. BIG DIFFERENCE.