Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy rear doors and tailgate swap over Q

Hi

wanting to swap over the rear doors and tailgate off my bg5 parts car onto my bg5

how easy is it to do this

I see rear doors have a plug for wires so that parts okay but how simple is it to swap em over

also i can't find a plug for tailgate wires so no biggy will re solder how easy with this one to do

reason for swap is parts car has tinted rear windows and cant be bothered just swapping glass over plus i need the tailgate glass as my rear windscreen demister wires are shot

want to eventually swap over cargo glass but that will have to wait until one of you guys that know what your doing are down my way (whangamata)

Cheers All

T1M0

• General Member

yup you gotta thread the plug back up pillar then guess what - thread it back down you good car! I cut a hole half way to assist with my swap, oh and get used to fibreglass in your skin from head-liner, you'll need to get it down in the back half for access to stop light stuff

th_2007_0425006.jpg

th_2007_0425003.jpg

th_2007_0425001.jpg

Cheers joker

Have reached a rock though as can't afford to go to a glazier and now don't know anyone who knows what there doing with the removal of glass

As I want the windows from rear doors back as its already tinted wanna save me some pennys if i can as relying on the sale of some of my bg5 parts (hint hint)

Cheers

Timo

you dont need a glazer to take out the side windows, the plates on the sides come off (rear one first) then top and bottom (check jokers side shot pic you will see the rear removed)

from there you will need a clay cutter wire to cut through the black silicone holding the glass in, use wedges to keep the gap as you cut through it, so it doesnt re-glue itself. (think there called versa wedges, wooden one do fine)

pays to you have someone help you, but patience is the key.

-------------------------------------------

I say use clay cut wire as it's cheap and does the same job, you can buy windshield knife but if you cant afford a glazer you wont have the money for the windshield knife.

this is a windscreen wire kit

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200334175_200334175

this is clay wire cutter

http://www.dickblick.com/products/kemper-wire-clay-cutter/

good luck

Not sure about the tail gate,

but I'd like to suggest having a go at swaping the glass over. When I had to do it, I took the door card off just for a look (I was thinking about calling a mechanic minded mate to help) and then I ended up undoing a couple of screws and the window more or less wriggled out of position!

It would have to be alot easier to do then swapping the doors, as the doors need to be lined up well, when re-attached. They're big and heavy so would be more comfortably handled with two people. And like others have mentioned, there is the wiring that goes back into the pillar.

Guest boostin
 liltim']

[quote name='JoKer said:

JFGI "demister repair kit" returns a few options including conductive ink

/quote]

thats new to me but where you buy them from

Cheers

T1M0

JFGI ;D

boostin']

[quote name='JoKer said:

JFGI "demister repair kit" returns a few options including conductive ink

/quote]

thats new to me but where you buy them from

Cheers

T1M0

JFGI ;D

Which is??

• General Member

:D haha dont take it wrong but we do kinda get silly questions every day and JFGI links pop up every now and then - healthy discussion like this is never bad for finding out about products liek that :P

or there is always www.LMGTFY.com eg: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=demister+repar+kit

or google JFGI and there an actual site for hilarity

yea brain wasn't working all that good last night so clicked later on lol

thats a good one though will keep that in the back of my mind

never knew you could replace the wires with those kits so might ask around supercheap or repco see if they sell will post if i have some form of sucess