Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

vf22 on a forester?

hi im new to subz and iv just gt me a 99 forester and a vf 22 with it.(but not put in yet)

will my engine run alrite with it on, running 14psi?

i looked at engine and looks like i already have yellow injectors does this sound correct?

also wat would b the limit of boost to run on these engines?

any help thanks

What sort of boost controller do you plan on using? The boost cut on a forster is around 14psi/1bar so you might find yourself running right smack into it if you boost spike. Yellows sound about right for a 99 so you should be fine with those. As long as you don't hit boost cut your car should run fine with the VF22. Just remember that VF's flow ALOT more than your standard TD04L so even at standard psi you'd have a good dollop of power over standard

You've got the Facelift Forester so you would only need to replace the ECU (you've got the V5/6 engine which comes with the yellows as you've said and a generic afm the same as all engines of that pedigree). All you need to do is source a V5 or V6 STI ecu, install your VF and the boost controller and you'll be scaring the shit out of slow traffic in passing lanes in no time.

Check out the thread in the Forester section about Dave's Foz. His is an 01 but the same principles apply to your Foz as his.

uwantsumbeef said:

my 01 has the yellows, gotta source a decent VF turbo then take it to the guys at WRC development to tune it using ecu-tek on the standard ECU. The can set the boost in the ecu so no need for a controller. should be putting some decent power out then

Nice, I envy you guys with the Phase 2 SF5's! Modding made easy 8) Well alot easier than my Phase 1 t/tb that was once auto :-[

uwantsumbeef said:

anyone brought a VF22 off sub-a-roo spares? what can i expect to pay + the quality of the 2nd hand turbo? cheers

never had an issue with any of there stuff the price all depends on who you talking to and what side of the the bed they got up on that morning. I'd expect to pay $500-$900 all depends on the condition km's and if its been rebuilt?

i got in contact with sub auto spares and they dont have any VF22 in stock. They say they retail for $650 -20% for clubsub members + gst. So instead of looking for a VF22 specifically i tried to do a bit of research to see what other VF turbo would be suitable for what im after and came across this peice of info which is good as it gives you a rough idea of each of the turbo's characteristics. Can someone also please tell me if the VF turbo is a direct bolt on bolt out replacement for the TD04? just a straight swap or any sort of modifications at all?

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/docs/turbo-data.pdf

uwantsumbeef said:

That's a pretty good read you've found there!

I'd flick a PM to itsgotgo and check with him about the direct bolt -onness of the VF's, He put a vf28 on his forester. From reading that worst thing you'll have to do is swap out the downpipe to a STI one that came with a VF in the first place (unless you've already gone aftermarket) to sort out the splitter thing.

Guest itsgotgo

No need to swap anything when putting the vf28 on or the 22.

would recommend getting the saimese down pipe and swapping that out when doing the turbo.

saves going in twice lads ;)

• 3 months later...

your looking for a j2 ecu cullyballs..i have same year forester as you and tryed putting the sti ecu on but when i got it on dyno it wasnt pretty...running stupidly rich and heaps of det..your better off doing it right the first time round and get a g4 or something similar and a front mount as a minimum..thats the advice given to me from the guys at shred

ive got vf24 on mine and ebc and just running 12psi max...best thing to do is get it fitted and take it to get dynoed to check whats going on for sure...$120 bucks for a dyno run and more importantly piece of mind your mods not gona break ya motor..like i say do it right first time round..with the sti ecu i had on i had it on 16psi high but definitely not recommended...even on 12 psi still picks up decent compared to td04