Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

having issues!! help!

Ok so i have no idea whether im posting in the correct place, but here i go anyways!

So im the owner of a 2000 GTB legacy (manual) LOVE it BUTTTTTT im having loads of issues getting this particular noise repaired!

A few months back i was caning it over the welly hill when i got a strong smell of melting and then i noticed everytime i turned a corner there was a loud noise coming from the front wheels!

Being a chick that knows F all, i freaked and stopped!

anyway, i took it into be checked, they checked pads,discs,drivetrain,calipers and evrything else up that end of the car but nothing fixed it!

Everytime i turn,whether it be a sharp turn or not, a loud clunking comes from the front wheel area. Sounds like the wheel is hitting something as it spins, i can feel it in the steering wheel too. It happens 80% of the time but seems to stop whenever i take it to get looked at (lol)

Now somebody heard the noise and thought it was a solenoid (?) or a bearing in the gearbox...?

ALSO, when i put it into 1st, theres a clunk from up the back.....wth!

basically, i thought id ask on here just in case somebody knows.... Im kinda sick of being ripped off by mechanics and would like to go in with a bit of knowledge!!

check that the series of the tyres are all the same i.e. 50, 45 etc they must all match

Plus i think 99-2001 GTBs are renound for the center diff packing up, my 2001 did. slow tight circles from lock to lock after a long run when its hot will show any probs with center diff

it cant be that then, as i aint driven it in 2 weeks and as soon as i took off this morning (in a hurry so no warm up!) It was clunking! And its def only the front wheels

missGTB said:

it cant be that then, as i aint driven it in 2 weeks and as soon as i took off this morning (in a hurry so no warm up!) It was clunking! And its def only the front wheels

unless its well worn out already, do some tight turning circles lock to lock see what it does, put yr foot up it a wee bit to put pressure on the drive line components.

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

you has gremlins

here is the female version

sexy-gremlin-764647.jpg

these lil fekkers like eating plastic and such, also the love sliding around in your engine makin weird noises and eating things.

best you take it to a mechanic and get em to exterminate the lil buggers :)

also please dont just drive your car like that when its cold thats when they do their best work, i think its something to do with once the engine is hot the start to get a lil burnt? could explain the smell too

best of luck

inner cv is what the mechanics originally thought, it seemed obvious and simple, but everything was mint! gah!

Well ive just had the top tank replaced also, as that had a split in it, could that possibly have been the smell? although the tank only fully crap out 3 weeks ago.... so i guess if it was a slow leak type thing, id notice the smell more often....

:-\

Coolant is quite a distinct smell eh. Smells hot if that makes sense.

Depending on how loud the clunking is, it could be either front swaybar bushes/endlinks (quiter end ... kind of gentle sounding) or at the louder and harsher end, it could be the center diff as mentioned.

This is considering that CV's have been eliminated...